Tiger I in Italy

fam43

No question I had to do this beast.

I bought the cheapest Tiger I around this was the Italeri one.

Building a destroyed Tank is a bit tricky. You must have the destroyed parts in your mind from start on. I needed rudimantary interiors too because all hatches are blown open.

The first step:

6336646363656165.jpg

Sorry I never planned to do a thread with this tank so many pics weren't taken for sheer laziness. So progress is a little bit aprupt.

To show the damage of the stowing box at the rear of the turret, I impressed alloy foil on it than cut away some parts of the box, fitted the impressed metal over it and could crunch it now at will to the desired effect.

3433303561656562.jpg

Brilliant! This is looking fantastic already. I wonder what knocked out that Tiger. Artillery? Or perhaps an engine fire as I don't see any entrance from a projectile. Fire damage seems to be only from the top of the engine compartment. Very interesting photos.

Cheers,

Don

Hi Don,

I beleive it was destroyed by the crew after running out of fuel or technical problems.

The next pic shows the almost completed model on the groundplate. I tried to imitate the pic as good as I could.

6533623232633831.jpg

The left relatively intact side of the tiger. As you will notice the first outmost running wheel is missing on both sides which was commun practice on early tigers because of interferring with the drive Wheel.

3839343465326435.jpg

The front:

6537653964373531.jpg

And last but not least the side for the viewing people:

3637326261356537.jpg

Excellent job Fam!! I like the dio concept. Destroyed stuff is the hardest to make,I think.This looks to me like the vehicle was in North Africa as it's an early Tiger with the dust filters. By the time the fight had moved to Italy I think that early tanks like this were scarce?

It was definetly a crew demo job,IMO.

J

Not Tunisia, Sicily.

This Tiger I, No. 211, was the mount of Lt. Heim of 2./s.504 that was KOed near Caltagirone, Sicily

Photos: http://www.tiif.de/thread.php?threadid=314&sid=9e55a1f79609ed46d63acd84c025ee4b

More info on Tigers can be found on the excellent "Tigers im Focus" website: http://www.tiif.de/

Cheers,

David