Bader's Spitfire Va Hasegawa 1/32

Kahunaminor

I was looking through my LHS the other day and came across a Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Va marked as Douglas Bader's a/c. The price was reasonable but I left it there as I wasn't looking for another Spitfire. Since then I have done a bit of research and it appears to be a very limited edition a/c. Can anyone advise me if I am correct? Should I hotfoot it back the the LHS at first light before some other schmuck?

Regards.

It doesn't seem to be in the Kit Database Kent, and I don't recall seeing or hearing about it before. I wouldn't count that as meaning it's rare, but uncommon perhaps. Sorry I can't offer you more info.

Kev

Thanks Kev,

I had never heard of it before but it was in the new white bordered Hasegawa boxing with the five digit code as opposed to an S number. Methinks I may have to get back there for a second look!

Regards

I shall check but if my memory's right, this is the same kit as the Revell Mk1/2. Hasegawa also released it as a MkIIa. They simply changed the decals.

HTH

Yep, that's pretty much a given. The Kit Database is currently showing 17 variations on the base kit, but just not the one Ken has found. Some of the release variations do appear to carry additional parts, or be missing additional parts, so there has been at least some variation in the plastic as well as the decals.

Kev

sounds like a new boxing of the kit l would be interested in seeing where you saw it to have a look myself

It was at my LHS here in Oz. There is no listing I can find at Hasegawa's web site for release. My interest is now piqued so I will go back there ASAP and report back. I am sure it said Va on the box (the artwork showed all MG's, no cannon and DB markings) but it MAY have ben a Mk I/II a/c.

It has been available from HLJ some years ago.

In fact, if I'm remembering it correctly, there was a problem to use the same kit to depict the MkVa and the MkI/IIa with different decals. Indeed, such marks used differently shaped oil coolers whereas hasegawa did not put different parts to comply with the difference...

Thank you gents,

It is a relief to see I am not suffering "Mad Cow" and it was a Mk Va! From what you have told me it may well be worth a trip back to the LHS and I hope I haven't missed the boat! It was priced at AUD$60 which would appear to be in line with the HLJ price back then (if you add postage). I will post again when I have it. The oil cooler problem should be fairly simple to fix I hope. I appreciate your time and knowledge. Thanks again.

Regards

I picked up the kit today for AUD$60. It has the options for a Mk IIa or Mk Va as previously noted. It has mrkings for two a/c. both are Bader's a/c from 1940/41. It has both long and short spinners and the starting cartridge for the IIa. Will probably benefit from an AM pit and Radu's Harness. It is not a Tamiya kit but at first glance it seems a nice acquisition. I have the Aero detail Mk1-V book to assist but there will, no doubt be some questions seeking assistance at a later time :D

Regards