p-51D hasegawa

gomer

Gomer,

not to rain on your parade...a lot has been written about the wing of the P-51 having a sealed and painted wing as compared to bare metal. I tried to achieve that appearance (but failed) on my model by actually painting the wing with Alclad. In the end the alclad looks in the photos as if it was foil. In fact, when I went to enter it in the nationals part of the painted area of the outer wing got damaged and I couldn't repaint it so I took some Bare Metal Foil and covered the panel and the matching one on the other wing! See this article over on aircraftresourcecenter.com http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....showtopic=21362 the article goes over the whole subject.

Bruce

SANY0458.jpg

one more thanks for looking

bruce your info is great help i will use on next one. this one will end up with one of my nephews which as my other ones did they enjoy it.

thanks for looking

gomer

thats a lot of work and a beautiful job to hand off to a nephew. I hope he is an adult and appreciates all the time an effort you put into it.

Bruce

bruce your info is great help i will use on next one. this one will end up with one of my nephews which as my other ones did they enjoy it.

thanks for looking

gomer

QA kitteh is on the job! :)

Tis a little known and even less researched fact that NMF P-51Ds often are weathered with random cat hair. Although I cant see it in your pics Gomer im sure its there. I too have faithfully recreated this little know detail myself in a lot of my 1/32 scale efforts..........

:BANGHEAD2:

Brian

SANY0510.jpg

well a little repair work

Nothin that you cant handle! :lol:

Usually even with kitchen foil, thats why I paint first and foil second; masking over any foil is at best precarious especially with the less sticky glue that comes on the BMF backing.

Cheers,

Brian