Su-27 SMK

Chris/Germany

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Time to bring this dead thread back to life!!!!

Because of having a very busy year with much to less time for modelling I´m far behind my scedule for this beast. Although I managed to do a bit of work on this huge project she´s still on the workbench ( yes...........more than a year now!........set´s down my rollout-rate to the level "beginner").

Because of the mentioned reason I could not manage it to keep this thread updated, but these days

at the end of the year, when things slow down a bit, is the perfect time to keep you updated ( and get familiar with the new forum options/ technics.

Ok, I´ll give it a try: here are more pics of the front fuselages framework: interior primed and

filled with avionics and electronic stuff ( as mentioned earlier in this thread mostly "fictive" because of the lack of references........seems all still "top secret"!)

Midfuse9.jpg

Midfuse10.jpg

Midfuse8.jpg

framework of her "shoulders" ( tricky area!)

Midfuse6.jpg

Midfuse13.jpg

testfit

Midfuse15.jpg

Midfuse14.jpg

Hey, seems to work!........the new "adding picture options" using photobucket is great!

Who said you can´t teach new tricks to an old dog?

Nightmare "canopy":

Because the SMK has the newer version of the IRST sensor, mounted on the right side of the windscreen, I could either use the kits windscreen nor the ZACTOMAN windscree, so I had to scratch one. A frame was build ( like in the real thing), then a vacuformed windscreen was mounted over the frame, then the IRST was scratched.

windscreen1.jpg

windscreen3.jpg

testfit of a dummy, the final canopy was formed with a small vac-machine

windscreen5.jpg

windscreen4.jpg

oh, forgot: scratched instrument panel with LCD´s and lots of tiny electrical stuff

instrpanel1.jpg

Edited by Chris/Germany

A bit of work on the landing gears:

All legs are highly modified with pipes and ( because in the kits version simply not existent: brakes!)

Fahrwekrschachte7.jpg

I made a copy of the rubber wheels, mounted on the rims ( don´t like rubber wheels)

Fahrwekrschachte9.jpg

original gear ( right), modified gear ( left)

Fahrwekrschachte8.jpg

Details added to the gear bays

Fahrwekrschachte4.jpg

Fahrwekrschachte3.jpg

Edited by Chris/Germany

my favourite part on modelling cutaways: wings

As usual built from styrene, starting with the stringers, then each rib is individually made and inserted

starboardwing1.jpg

testfit ( essential, has to be made every 2nd or 3rd rib to check correct shape of the closed wing!)

starboardwing2.jpg

primed

starboardwing3.jpg

same thing with horizontal rudder, problem here: the material of the kits parts ( lower and upper half) was much to thick with nearly no " room" between them when mounted together, so I

sanded down the lower half as much as I can and srcatched the upper half from 0,2 mm styrene.

starboardaileron1.jpg

done

starboardaileron2.jpg

Wings and rudders mounted, here she is like she was presented at our local Expo/ model show

in the first week of november ( exactly 1 year after starting the project......shame on me)

She´s in the paint-booth now, will keep you updated.

enjoy

Chris "the ripper"

P.S: hey, I love the new posting options! ;-)

CutComplete1.jpg

CutComplete2.jpg

Edited by Chris/Germany