Tamiya Spitfire...Clipped Wing options?

wrbrdmech

Can the Spitfire guys help me out? I want to buld my Tamiya Spit as a clipped wing but don't care for the markings in the kit. Anybody have photos or links to some Mk. IXc clipped wings? Very interested in other countries that would have flown them. Anything will help.

Thanks

Shane Pulliam

Hate to say it but only the Dutch machine is a IXc - the first is a V, second and fourth IXe's (or even highback XVI's) - I think it was pretty rare for the IXc to fly with clipped wings, no doubt Edgar will chime in with more difinitive info...

2I-T ML417 is a post-war rebuild, as is SH-L MK912 (note the post-war headgear and harness); the Dutch "image" is a post-war hybrid, with 3-spoke wheels and Dutch roundels, which were not seen during WWII. As Kagemusha says SZ-X is a V(b probably.)

Edgar

This one is coming soon from Victory Productions. It's an HF.IXc with clipped tips, flown by Flt Lt Peter Hillwood, DFC, of 127 Squadron in the Netherlands in late 1944...

J

SM179_LadyJane.jpg

HF? I thought clipped wings typically went on LF variants (optimized for low altitude work)?

This one is coming soon from Victory Productions. It's an HF.IXc with clipped tips, flown by Flt Lt Peter Hillwood, DFC, of 127 Squadron in the Netherlands in late 1944...

J

SM179_LadyJane.jpg

I have an idea that Lady Jane was a MkXVI, she was named after Peter Hillwood;s wife who was also sister to Roland Beamont. Peter and Bea went on to work together after the war as test pilots for English Electric at Warton, most notably on Canberra and Lightning. They flew together to established a new world record when they flew a Canberra across the Atlantic twice in the same day, to Gander Bay and back I think. Peter was quite a character who also flew in films such as the Magnificent men and Blue Max, in which he also got the chance to 'act', he was the British airman laid down to die when shot down over the German airfield.

Mark

Can the Spitfire guys help me out? I want to buld my Tamiya Spit as a clipped wing but don't care for the markings in the kit. Anybody have photos or links to some Mk. IXc clipped wings? Very interested in other countries that would have flown them. Anything will help.

Thanks

Shane Pulliam

Hi Shane

The israeli AF flew MkIXs in the clipped wing configuration with the tall rudder. When I get my Tamiya bird I am thinking about creating a Spit like it had been on the ferry flights from the Czech Republik. They had standard RAF colors, red spinners, large belly tanks and ex-German, wasp tail style, tanks under each wing on the bomb racks. The 20mm guns were removed and the openings faired over. Large "Star of David" insignia and some birds had small individual markings.

cheers

Uwe

velvetta1lineup.jpg

velvetta1.jpg

yugo-isr.jpg

bigphoto_hist_5.jpg

bigphoto_spit1.jpg

SpitfireLuftwaffeTanks.jpg

The LF/HF designation has nothing whatsoever to do with the wings. That's the altitude rating of the engine, and thus the specific 60/70 series number associated therewith. There are loads of HFs with clipped wings and vice-versa. The wing tips were held on by three bolts and several screws, and could be changed in the field in a half hour.

ML179 left Castle Bromwich as an HF.IX according to my refs. Delivered on 9 November 1944.

J

Thanks for the info. I obviously not a Spit expert. I knew the designation did not refer to the wings, but I had assumed the HF was a high alt engine, and therefore thought the clipped wings would be counter-productive.

The Brit designations are confusing!

C wing, just like the Tamiya kit :BANGHEAD2: There's a pic in January's edition of Flypast magazine of a clipped wing RAF IXc MJ730 GO-Y in standard camouflage with sky id band, and a red spinner with a white backplate - it was based in Greece was piloted by Rhodesian Rodney Simmonds and shot down a Bulgarian BF 109G. Also this: http://www.a2zeemodels.co.uk/spitfire-mk-ix-pcm-3830-p.asp and Berna do decals for similar: http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=BER32006