Mistel

ajw1977

Ok People, yes I am still building the seafires, but am already thinking ahead to next project :lol: . Thanks to Mr Rutman I have got a sweet deal on the revel JU88. So I am thinking out of the box, never done anything German, so why not go all the way and do two kits at a time. So I have always liked the Mistel concept.. wow desperate times call for desperate, yet amazing ideas.

post-4695-1258800208.jpgpost-4695-1258800300.jpg

So my question is, what would be the nest 1/32 FW 190 or BF 109 kit for this project... for that matter does anyone have any ideas on what marks of the fighter were used? Anyone have markings? Which would be better?

ajw1977,

Can help u here as two of them i built along time ago.Built the vac 88 with a FW-190 as to the old hase kit and the other with a 109 revell kit.Used aluminum R/C type wing edge strips to support the fighters on each one.The squadron in action book for the JU-88 shows the mistel's and for markings.The markings for any of the fighters was as to factory markings that applied other than squadron markings and etc.

Charles is right as to the book he mentioned,but as for the revell JU-88 kit that's out on the market.It's the only game in town unless someone comes out with the conversion.And to add to this and what i have seen in the squadron in action book.Some early 88's still had the front section as to the cockpit still attached,before the versions with the two different warheads were developed.I have the warheads that are vac if u wish to get one or two of them.

The posting of the pic's u sent with u'er reqest are just right and they will be very helpful in u'er build.Larry

Before worrying about the '190 or '109 you'll need to convert Revell's Ju 88 A-1 kit to a later version. Essentially everything that's known about Mistels can be found in this book by Robert Forsythe, which is available from Amazon, for example.

Charles Metz

Charles,

Thanks mate, I think I need to get it to an A-4, which I think is only a matter of changing the tail plane slightly?

Thanks for the bok ref as well.. will order that ASAP

ajw1977,

Can help u here as two of them i built along time ago.Built the vac 88 with a FW-190 as to the old hase kit and the other with a 109 revell kit.Used aluminum R/C type wing edge strips to support the fighters on each one.The squadron in action book for the JU-88 shows the mistel's and for markings.The markings for any of the fighters was as to factory markings that applied other than squadron markings and etc.

Charles is right as to the book he mentioned,but as for the revell JU-88 kit that's out on the market.It's the only game in town unless someone comes out with the conversion.And to add to this and what i have seen in the squadron in action book.Some early 88's still had the front section as to the cockpit still attached,before the versions with the two different warheads were developed.I have the warheads that are vac if u wish to get one or two of them.

The posting of the pic's u sent with u'er reqest are just right and they will be very helpful in u'er build.Larry

Larry

Thanks for the insight, the vac form noses was one thing I was figuring out how to do. Please send me a PM with how much you would like for them and I will organise payment.

What would you recommend fighter wise? I am leaning towards the 190, but what company would be the best to buy from?

Thanks again gents for your help

Andy

As a rule of thumb, the radial engined Ju-88s were paired with FW-190s (usually As or Fs), while the inline engined variants were paired with Bf-109Fs. There were contradictions to this pattern photographed post war, but whether they were actually configured this way for operations is a moot point.

The inline engined Mistels were generally based on A-4 or C-6 pattern airframes, the A-1 of the Revell kit would have been obsolete long before the Mistel programme was a reality. To convert to an A-4 type, the wingtips need to be extended, the engines modified and the vertical tail surface updated. I believe MDC and AIMS both make parts to carry out this conversion.

While not impossible, converting to a G-1 (radial engine) type would be considerably more complex. The wing conversion would be the same as the A-4, with new engines and all tail flying surfaces being completely redesigned. The cockpit area is also substantially changed, if you were building one of the training variants.

On the subject of training Mistels, what most builders overlook is the lack of the gondola under the cockpit on the vast majority of these. I have seen no more than a handful of photographs showing the gondola in place, there is some suggestion that this was left in place only for some early development airframes.

I'm currently working on a smaller scale Mistel project, so the information is uppermost in my mind right now,. If Revell follow-up with a 1/32 Ju-88A-4, then I'll probably build that as a Mistel, particularly as there appear to be some Bf-109Fs on the horizon,

Cheers,

Bill.

Charles,

Thanks mate, I think I need to get it to an A-4, which I think is only a matter of changing the tail plane slightly?

Andy,

These photos of L'Arsenal's new Ju 88 A-4 conversion set:

post-8303-1258393916.jpg post-8303-1258393897.jpg

that Tony Bunch posted recently on our Trader's Board indicate the many differences between an A-1 and an A-4 and, in particular, show the very different engine nacelles used on A-4s. The A-4's bulged, two-gun rear cockpit canopy was another very obvious difference:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-356-1805-24A,_Frankreich,_Flugzeug_Ju_88.jpg

[credit: Wikimedia Commons]

Charles Metz

Jeff,

When u get done with that Mistel build of the 162 and the cradle.Can i talk u out of a copy of the plans?Larry

Actually there are no plans.

If you guys want pics of the resin let me know and I'll snap a few pictures or would you prefer a review article of the set?

Jeff

While nit-picking at a paper project is kind of a why bother, the missile in this case has bunk engines. The E377 would have been powered by BMW003s, so would have had engine cowls rather similar to the He162, at least in the intake shape and the somewhat humpbacked upper forward cowl area, and the cowl opening would hinge off the lower quardant at the same line as that on the He162. The kit engines are a fictional mish-mash of Jumo004 fronts and BMW003 rears. The BMWs as fitted to the Me262 would be the best guides to proper look.(see Vol. 3 of the Smith and Creek '262 Tome for good views)

Gents,

thanks to you all for your valuable input, particularly to Larry who has been a huge help through PMs and will be providing me with a sweet deal on war heads and some 88 plans to work off. As for the 162 Mistel, yup from the searches that I have done it was a paper project, it seems that there was a lot of mistel type ideas around at the end of the war. On the same site I got the plans from in an earlier post, thaey had pictures of 190's on V1s the 162 and 190's on TA-154s. I have also seen 262 (droop snoot) on 262's and 262 on the twin arado.. So lots of variations. I guess I stuck with the 88's as they, as far as I can asertain, were the only ones to actually see service, but I could be wrong.

One question, I am leaning towards the 190/88 combo, anyone got some good pictures/paint schemes for these?

Anyway again thanks to you all, now I just have to get everything together, wait for kits to arrive, and clear some space... best get to finishing the multitude of projects I have going at the moment.

Cheers

Andy

There's a ton of good data on the Ju88+Fw190 (and I've done the big tail and am in progress on the BMW engines). Apperently, the only other advanced Mistel project that got to almost cut metal was the He177 as the weapon. But a really cool paper project would have been the ultra-long range pathfinder, based on the Ju88H, easy to model and a dramatic finished product.

I've got a Me262-based weapon and He162 guide machine nearly done. Will post snaps shortly.