A6M 2 Lt Junichi Sasie

spacewolf

Hell yes thats looking very good now. Its going to look pretty sharp when you get it painted up and installed. It occurred to me that the front cyclindars must also somehow connect to the collector ring, but it beats me as to how. Twice as many tubes shoehorned in there must be the answer but with the cowling on, they will never be seen anyway. Plus you'd start babeling and drooling if you tried it. Viewed thru the open cowl flaps, what you've go its more than enough.

Very well done Vaughn!

Sabre

YAYYY ! :) Glad I pass the test !! Every second tube is the one going to the forward bank of cylinders. Each half of the collector ring services 7 of the 14 cylinders. Other than wiring the front bank this is about all i'm doing as most of the engine is hidden. I'm not painting the engine as it should be because it's dark enough inside the cowl.. painting the cylinders black means you loose almost all the detail. I'll do a black wash and let it go at that.

Just time for a quick update before I'm off to work. I trimmed the other exhaust and checked it on the engine... like the other side it is about 1/16th short and needs an insert to fill a divot on the lower side.

post-2514-1258144270.jpg

I cut the exhaust and glued in the shim, the rest will have to wait till tomorrow.

post-2514-1258144283.jpg

I'm hoping to have the exhaust finished and the wiring done...possibly have the cowling finished as well this weekend... anyone out there have pics of the cowl flap actuator's ? they'll be next !

Life has slowed down my building time but I got the other collector half done as well as catching another mistake in the right hand half. The bottom tubes extend from the ring half quite a ways ( I'll bet they were very prone to cracking the weld joints ! ) and while test fitting the left hand side I noticed that i'd totally missed where the bottom tube on the right side went.. nothing for it but to re do it.

post-2514-1258271414.jpg

Cookin' with gas tonight ! Once the L/H collector ring was done I started splashing paint around. Testors gloss gray for the crank case, steel for the intake tubes (the Tamyia instructions Sabre sent me calls for gloss black but as an old aviation mech that makes no sense to me.. ya want lighter colors so you can spot leaks easier). I painted the collector rings first with Vallejo steel, then a thin wash of bronze and finally a wash of Tamyia red/brown.

post-2514-1258278219.jpg

post-2514-1258278230.jpg

Working on the cowling I had all sorts of gaps due to the engine. The rear bank from the 21st C. kit needs about 1/2 MM taken off the edge...not a lot but it makes a diff. The worst problem was the kit engine parts.. I had to trim several of the heads to get the cowl to sit down properly. It could have been this particular kit or my build of it... just a problem I thought I'd mention.

post-2514-1258285936.jpg

Once those problems were dealt with everything lined up nicely. The fit is nothing to write home about but I've seen a LOT worse.

post-2514-1258285965.jpg

Well I'm finally back... work and life got in the way for a few days. I found more work to do on the 'Franken Engine'.... why I couldn't have left well enough alone I don't know but it seemed like a good idea at the time ?..... The opening for the prop mount shaft is way too wide... remember this was designed to have a motor spinning the prop so the main mounting point is at the rear of the engine and the front of the crank case was not needed to be a close fit... So I had to make a bushing. It was cut and trimmed to shape out of a bit of 1/16th scrap. Careful trimming and sanding made for a press fit and the prop shaft is a perfect fit.

post-2514-1258659704.jpg