Eduard's 109: does the engine fit underneath the cowl?

nmayhew

hi there,

over on the Works in Progress i am building Eduard's 109 E-1 in the colours of a bird that crashed landed on the beach not so many miles from me (Arno Zimmerman's aircraft - http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=25799).

i am not sure whether to include the full engine or not, but am not sure whether the engine fits uner the cowling or, like some builds i have seen, if you put the engine in the cowl stays off...

i have been following an Arc build by a guy way better than me who seems to have got it to fit, but ultimately i want the cowl on and maybe removable, rather than having it premanently displayed open.

i am still in early stages of the kit but forewarned is forearmed and all that...

cheers,

Nick

I read your posting over on Hyper regarding this, if you do decide to opt for a closed cowling it's worth tracking down the posts by Marc Rocca (of WNW's) who chopped up the engine some so it was visible through the cowling gaps, he also made some small though significant improvements...

hi James

from what i have seen so far, there is NO comparison between the two kits

one was good for its time, but cannot be compared to the Eduard kit

the Ed kit has taken a pounding from some reknowned 109 authorities, but i think they are being harsh: i am a distinctly average modeller and think mine will turn ok, and that the things that need changing are either easy to do, or relatively inconsequential unless striving for 100% accuracy.

much of the sentiment has resulted from the canopy affair on the E-4, and how Eduard mismanaged things at the outset.

that replacements will now be offered has not exactly resulted in people singing kits praises, which persaonally i think they should: if you want a detailed and pretty accurate 109 E in 1/32, it is a most welcome kit!

also looking forward to the Trumpeter kit...

Nick "it's all good" Mayhew

:lol:

I was one of those who wasn't going to buy Eduard (as I had three Matchbox Es). However, having seen them I now have one of each.

They do have problems, but ones which, so far, seem far from 'dealbreakers'.

Going back to the engine, I don't like Eduard's. Its a bit 'blobby' and I don't like the simplifications. I shall do one with cowls off but I'll borrow an engine from the Dragon 110. If you compare the two you'll see there's little comparison!

Matt