P-38 Lightning

ruzlkampf

Hah! The 16 cents is only a down payment, I ended up having to use 33 cents total with the uhm, let's see....carry the 4, no the 5, uhhh...17(maybe more) cents I have in the nose. :rolleyes: NOW we're talking the big bucks!

This is going to be green, I'm just pretending it's going to be NMF as I'm building it so I don't get a lot of finger prints all over it. I love fooling myself. ;) I've already started drawing the dragons on the booms, that's why you can see pencil marks in some pics. This paint-job is gonna be a hoot!

Your P38 looks really good.

I remember "trying" to build one, when Trumpeter put it on the market.

what a bad fitting, engine to big for the nacelles, photoetch parts to small for the radiators...

She finished in the trash. :angry:

That's why I say: Fantastic Job, Russ!

Jamme

Hah!! The more I build on this thing,...the more in awe I am of your build, Dave. Yours is in NMF, and would require MUCH more test-fitting and subtle gluing/precise shaving of parts. This is an excellent kit really, it's just that there are SO many parts that have to be aligned and come together perfectly making it a really fun challenge. I'll definitely be buying another!

Hey Texas!, Glad to see you're following along. After putting the flaps on,(they're behind the rear wheels, and considered tail weight) I ended up putting in yet MORE pennies. My original calculations called for 27 cents; I'm now up to 43. Whoohoo! Was thinking about yer A-10 last night, and wondering how much weight it'll end up having in the nose? With all that cannon detail/wheel well, I'll be room to put weight is getting scarce?! :P I know what ya mean, I don't know how this would be a 'nose sitter' if I had the engines and mg bays in it. :huh:

Okay, as mentioned; I had to put a total of 27 pennies in the nose after adding the flaps. If I didn't have the 16 in the engine area, this wouldn't be sitting on it's nose. That woulda been embarrasing. Here's a pic.

post-4413-1239257672.jpg

These got a coat of epoxy, after supergluing them in, to keep from ever rattling around. Overall weight is still well under structural limitations of the kit LG. I was relieved. :)

Alrighty. Shaved a flat spot on the kit vinyl tires, added the MG ammo doors on the nose, added the exhausts and stuff to finish off the turbos, and propped it all up to see how the profile turned out. Probably be putting resin tires/rims on this, but I wanted to see how it looked so far completely OOB. Except for the Revell props, this is how it looks so far completely stock.

post-4413-1239258108.jpg

Front view, showing the dihedral and now perpendicular booms. Wing is now straight across the top because of the spar. Rudder(s) and elevator are now at right angles to each other. Sweet! :huh:

post-4413-1239258339.jpg

I've only got 2 ref books on P-38's, and from what I can tell the landing gear is the correct height/length as it comes on the kit? Hope so, cause I'd be hating life to change it now. :huh:

post-4413-1239258673.jpg

Don't see too many P-38's being built on this site, so I thought ya'll like to see what Trumpeters looks like OOB.(except for the props) Cuts a pretty dashing profile, eh?! This view shows the 'straight across the top of the wing' look this AC should have. Amazing how 2-5thou card strips under the center section transform all the angles on this AC.

post-4413-1239258901.jpg