GamesWorkshop paint used for airbrushing

toby1kanobi

The Citadel/Games Workshop paints are the absolute best for brushpainting, no streaking or brushstrokes, and thin, smooth and solid coverage. That's interesting to heat that they can be used through an airbrush, have to give that a try.

Cheers,

Richard

Yes it is. I've only sprayed the metallics but I suppose the rest would spray just as well. You do need to thin it heavily. Sort of like the old Polly Scale line. RD

will dilution just with good old water be sufficent or will i need something different

You could probably use water as a thinner however I would recommend thinning using an isopropol/ denatured alchol mix,some folks use windshield washer fluid,but I have had the best results with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner. RD

will dilution just with good old water be sufficent or will i need something different

You could probably use water as a thinner however I would recommend thinning using an isopropol/ denatured alchol mix,some folks use windshield washer fluid,but I have had the best results with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner. RD

i shall have a look around for some Tamia thinner the. i was a bit cnserned that with a question like that ide have seemed denser than George W

I have some of the Citadel paints, intended for hand brushing and work great for it!!! I personally would stick to Tamiya for airbrushing as they are much thinner already. Or the Vallejo Air series.

i may eventualy switch to tamia paint but for the moment its cost prohibitive for me, and i can drive 5mins and get gamesworkshop stuff from my nearest gw shop

I think the Games Workshop paints are on the high-priced side as well as Tamiya.

On one of the SciFi boards, I have seen several good comments about Apple Barrel acrylic craft paints. Apparently they brush and airbrush well, come in many colors, and are much more economical as they come in much larger containers: http://www.plaidonline.com/apAB.asp#abc . They are carried by craft stores and Walmart. I just haven't gotten around to trying them.

I think the Games Workshop paints are on the high-priced side as well as Tamiya.

On one of the SciFi boards, I have seen several good comments about Apple Barrel acrylic craft paints. Apparently they brush and airbrush well, come in many colors, and are much more economical as they come in much larger containers: http://www.plaidonline.com/apAB.asp#abc . They are carried by craft stores and Walmart. I just haven't gotten around to trying them.

do you know how much paint you get and for how much money?

do you know how much paint you get and for how much money?

I haven't checked the local stores as I said, but it looks like they are going for $6.59 for a 16oz bottle, and $1.49 for a 2oz bottle. They also have a higher quality FolkArt line that goes for $2.99 for a 2oz bottle. That compares to $2.30 for a 1/3 oz bottle of Tamiya paint, or $3.50 for a 12ml(0.40 oz) bottle of Citadel paint.

I have a buddy who swears by Apple Barrel for at least some of the weathering on his armor builds. I haven't bought or used any of it myself although I may check into it. He does indeed get it from WalMart. The good thing about Citadel's line is that they are nice and thick so when thinned for spraying they go a long way. RD