Trumpeter F4U-1D

big matt

Well I couldn't resist jumping back into this group build. I was flipping through an old book of profiles I have had since I was a kid, "Aircraft of World War 2" by Bill Gunston. This profile just called to me for a nice sea blue late war bird. The artist was Massimo Jacoponi. I searched for anything current on him but no luck.

I believe I am right about the assignment of this aircraft to VMF-214 but they were on the ship only for a short time before the Franklin was heavily damaged by Japanese aircraft while off the coast of Japan in the spring of 1945.

corsairwip001.jpg

Now for the mess. The kit cockpit is not really what is in the plane so a little cutting here and there gets rid of the floor. Trying to build this thing on a budget so no aftermarket to make things nice. Not wanting to reinvent the wheel I eliminated the floor by adding some tubing and using the kit floor as a jig to set the heights of the bulkheads. A hassle but it worked, sort of.

amirsgarden029.jpg

amirsgarden034.jpg

I just wanted to busy things up as the real thing is just crammed with plumbing. Most of this can't be seen anyway.

The sides were just kind of busied up with styrene too.

amirsgarden032.jpg

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will look ok with some paint.

Thanks for looking,

Matt

Bwhahaha!!!! I knew you couldn't stay away! ;) Didn't see anything new on the F-105, so I knew you were up to something devious. I've had this kit for awhile now, not knowing what I was going to do with it...so I'm going to be taking notes seeing it go together. That cockpit looks great, you don't mess around when it comes to adding the detail, eh?! Hmmm, I really must try putting some seatbelts like that into one of my pits some day, you make it look rather fun. :lol:

Looking terrific, as usual. Can't wait to see what's coming next! Later, Russ

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

I got a little bit more work done. This kit has some fiddly bits to it, the tail gear with it's movable linkage for one. :D Not so sure I like that. Oh well, got the cockpit painted up but it is a long way to go to button up the fuselage. You have to build the 900 piece powerplant first. Great, more glue stuck fingers.

corsairwip2001.jpg

we will see how my floorless set up works

corsairwip2007.jpg

I thinned up the sides of the kit seat and shortened the back up a bit as it just looked way too long. The oxygen bottle is a 1/48th sc250 bomb with a little creative plumbing. Next time I might opt for an aftermarket cockpit but this build is on a budget. ;)

Matt

Ok, here is the R2800 as interpreted by Trumpeter. This thing was not too bad to put together. I wish the exhaust was a little better fit but we will see how it works out later.

corsairwip4002.jpg

The engine is pretty good considering they give you pretty much everything front and back. Too bad you can't see most of it with the cowling on.

corsairwip4004.jpg

I did have to add a few things like wiring, a data plate and the P & W logo. Don't look too close at that though.

corsairwip4008.jpg

Thanks for looking

Matt

You PAINTED your own data plate, AND Pratt-Whitney logo!!!! :rolleyes: The cheek, the audacity,...the coolness. ;) Not that I wuz looking too closely, but uhhhm I think on cylinder #17 ya got the spark-plug placement reversed? ;) Also, I noticed the valve cover on #4 isn't quite torqued to spec. And really, tsk tsk...those oil stains, needs to be changed to 10-50W for maximum viscosity. You're running too light of an oil in that thing, good gawd man! I did notice that you got the fuel/air mixture stain coming outta the exhaust a mite too brown. Running a little lean.

Whups, I wasn't supposed to look that close. My bad. :o he he. Looking superb as usual Matt. Don't get nervous cause I'm so close looking over your shoulder while you're building this,....ever since that freak fishing accident, I just do that. ;) Can't wait to see more, dude! Russ

Thought I would show a pic of the floorless cockpit mod prior to adding the wings. Yep, no floor.

corsairwip5005.jpg

I was not convinced the movable tail gear was a good idea but it just might come in handy to keep me from snapping it off during my marathon sanding exercises.

corsairwip5007.jpg

That's it for now, I have to get some work done on my F-105D. Hopefully it will continue push Russ down the dark path in his pursuit of phantom perfection! :lol:

Matt