Airfix 1/24 Mossie

Rufus

Hi everyone, this is my first posting.

Has anyone seen test shots of the 1/24 Airfix Mosquito yet? The scheduled release date is before the year end. Assuming it's on schedule and matches the quality of the old Airfix 1/24 Stuka and Hurricane it's got to be top of my Christmas list!

Am I the only one that thinks these later Airfix 1/24 releases are miles best than the latest from Trumpeter

hmmm. an awkward one---i have long standing fond memories of all the airfix 'superkits' as they were called----the best was the outstanding stuka---the worst the f.w.190 in my humble.----however if you try comparing the airfix hurri. which everyone still drools over--despite many unforgivable serious errors with trumps. hurri-- there is just no comparison---nose contours tell the story. then again trumps spit is'nt as good as airfix---though the old girl needs serious work. so there are 'curates eggs' here for both manufacturers---but tell me kit makers---regardless of the prestige they have have who don't drop clangers sometimes (manufacturers i mean) but i'm with you all way expecting great things from airfix with the mossy. lets hope no serious errors creep in------ mind you ,i'll buy one anyway---because it will be(injection wise) the only game in town.

dave.

Hi everyone, this is my first posting.

Has anyone seen test shots of the 1/24 Airfix Mosquito yet? The scheduled release date is before the year end. Assuming it's on schedule and matches the quality of the old Airfix 1/24 Stuka and Hurricane it's got to be top of my Christmas list!

Am I the only one that thinks these later Airfix 1/24 releases are miles best than the latest from Trumpeter

Here is what I remember..Ya I'm getting old..Back about 82 or so when the Hurricane super kit was released(bought two) Airfix was slipping rumours of a 1/24 Mossie to follow.stated they had quite a bit of work done on the moulds(full engines..the works).Well as you can guess we all waited and waited and waited..nothing.. later..in a few mags at the time,articles hinted that due to economic uncertainty at Airfix,the moulds were shelved.then a couple decades went by and now we hear it's back again.

So whats my point..Don't be surprised to see something along the lines of the Hurricane moulding as it appeared in the early eighties.personally I don't have a problem with this as I still feel that even today,it (Hurricane)holds up so very respectfully against all 1/24 kits released since. It will easily be a must have for serious builders and collectors.

I spoke with Trevor Snowdon of Airfix about this kit, which he now believes will be out after Christmas, It is an all new tooling, so no dust old tools here. Trevor was responsible for the 48th scale Mk24 Spitfire and Lightning Airfix produced to much acclaim, the 24th Mossi is also his pet project which he has wanted to produce since the earlier project was shelved, so we should expect to see a seriously good modern kit with from Airfix.

Incidentally, back in the early 80s, Airfix used the research they had put into the 24th scale Mossi to issue a 48th scale kit which was highly regarded at the time.

Mark.

I spoke with Trevor Snowdon of Airfix about this kit, which he now believes will be out after Christmas, It is an all new tooling, so no dust old tools here. Trevor was responsible for the 48th scale Mk24 Spitfire and Lightning Airfix produced to much acclaim, the 24th Mossi is also his pet project which he has wanted to produce since the earlier project was shelved, so we should expect to see a seriously good modern kit with from Airfix.

Incidentally, back in the early 80s, Airfix used the research they had put into the 24th scale Mossi to issue a 48th scale kit which was highly regarded at the time.

Mark.

If it is as nice as the spitfire mk 22/24 family, then I'm in. If it is more like the spitfire mark 1 or 9 (which I bought because they were well priced) then I'll have to give it some careful consideration, as it will be quite expensive.

Ron

Mark.

Not to be argumentative ..but it will be an all new tool for everyone (including Trevor) seeing that it's never been released..just can't buy them throwing everything in the bin and starting from scratch when they were almost there..they did use the research for the 1/48 and would be surprised if something wasn't carried over. either way it's welcome.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Airfix (or Trevor) ever said they had actually done any hard tooling in the 80s. I think it's been said they had done all the *design* work for the tooling. Big difference. They certainly wouldn't have 'almost been there' with many tens of thousands of pounds worth of steel tooling and just scrapped it or put it on a shelf. That would have been insane. Besides the fact that they (Airfix) weren't doing the tooling, it would have been contracted out to some third party, just as it is now.

Good things come to those who wait (25+ years!).

J

i utterly agree with everything you've said---you seem to have your finger on the pulse jennings------here's a one---bit cheeky i know----can you 'egg em on' to re-release the spit (24th.) with some up-dated decals ----new options i mean, if you have any clout with trevor it would give the old girl a new lease of life---which is what she deserves(in her mk. 1 guise i mean.

just joking, but--you never know!!!!!!!

dave.

hi erwin, it's just the mk.1 with the rather poor(to say the least) mk.V extras. if it's not----then i'll be buying some---but no--sadly it is.

cheers though,

dave.

So this one but in a different box and other decals ?

post-114-1221657377.jpg