Hawker Typhoon - Revell 1:32

Butler

Cheers, it's a bit rough close up though!

I've started work on the cannon bay today, just the basic structure so far. I have some Hispano cannon from a spitfire kit but they are very under scale (I actually used the same parts on my 1:48 kit) so i'll be scratching the cannon too.

post-4669-1226962911.jpg

I LOVE THIS. It is really way out. You did a magnificent job with the skinning. However, I think that the weathering is a bit overdone. I would not go so far. I like the scuffing and scratches but the paint removal is a bit overdone, I feel. Just my opinion by the way. don;t forget that the wings would not be totally walked over. Only in some places and maybe near the gun bays. Besides, the plane had walkways leading up to the cockpit.

Is there a metal landing gear available for this Typhoon? Or, do you plan on building your own because I would just geuss that the metal skin added a little extra weight to this one.

I don't think there is a metal landing gear available, i'll definitely be making my own either way because making it is the fun part!

The model is a little heavier but not enough to cause trouble. The real noticable difference is the feel of the model - it is now really cold the the touch which is quite strange!

I LOVE THIS. It is really way out. You did a magnificent job with the skinning. However, I think that the weathering is a bit overdone. I would not go so far. I like the scuffing and scratches but the paint removal is a bit overdone, I feel. Just my opinion by the way. don;t forget that the wings would not be totally walked over. Only in some places and maybe near the gun bays. Besides, the plane had walkways leading up to the cockpit.

Thanks Brian. The weathering definitely is overdone but that's how i like it as I think it adds a bit of drama to the model. I've seen a couple of photos with heavy wear on and around the walkway strips and that's the look i've gone for. The rest of the wings are untouched apart from a small patch near the cannon bays.

More importantly, i don't own an airbrush so my paint finishing leaves a lot to be desired. Heavy wear offers a little help ;)

post-4669-1227046174.jpg

I've done a little work on a Hispano drum this evening. I've matched the size of the drum against a period photo in which it rests on the flap (similar to to my photo). I'll scale the rest of the cannon against this. The drum is made from 3 different diameters of styrene tube inside one another and trimmed roughly to shape.

The photo also shows the 1:32 Spitfire cannon from another model that were much too small to use!

post-4669-1227046464.jpg

Wow! Fantastic!

Really superb work. I dunno about the skinning...... I think I'd be too chicken to try it! ;) Maybe one day.

Your weathering reminds me of Allied aircraft photographed in the Pacific Theater, and some photos of aircraft moldering in the grass in British scrapyards as well. The Typhoon in particular seemed to weather more than other types though.... from the type of ops it was typically on?

The grey and green are sprayed on, but using car paint rattlecans. These are designed to give quite a 'thick-and-fast' coverage and make any subtlety impossible! I used the trick of rolls of blue-tac to mark the camo pattern and give a feathered edge which helped a little.

The rest of the model is brush painted. Maybe I should ask for an airbrush for christmas :rolleyes:

Brian i've seen your Hispano thread and it's excellent - i'm using it as a reference at the moment. My plan is to have one cannon armed up and ready, and the other in the process of being reloaded with the ammo drum removed