Hawker Typhoon - Revell 1:32

Butler

Hi

I thought I would start a thread on my Typhoon build. I'm going all-or-bust for a engine panel open look - it could look good, it could be a disaster as this is only my second model (and first large scale!) :(

Here's the kit - it's secondhand but complete. It looks like the previous owner gave up after a quick dry fit, and I can see why. the fit is absolutely terrible and there are voids on many of the edges. I'm going to chop it up a lot though, so I dont care :D

post-4669-1220476398.jpg

After opening the kit I spent a good half-hour working out the logistics of putting the various additions in. In the end I settled on this - I hope you get the gist of what i'm planning to do :(

This allows me to work on the cockpit / engine framing separately from the main fuselage, and bring them together later. I'm going to remove the wheel well mouldings to allow the frame to slip in, then rebuild them later in better detail.

I have a very small budget (ie maybe a couple of new paints!) for this so i'm scratching every part, apart from some photoetched seatbelts as a treat. post-4669-1220476856.jpg

will you be scribing butler or going with embossed? this is a great kit -----if staying out the box reduce the width of the prop blades----even for a tiffie they are too wide do you have the squadron clear vac. bubble canopy? if yes-- please remember that the sides of the cockpit opening need building up a bit----i had already done my version of this build before the canopy came and had to do some re-painting!!!!

looking forward to this build mate.

cheers,

dave.

oh --one last quickie-----if you go for late rocket armed---which i think you are it is very, very likely that you'll need to enlarge tailplanes and elevators-----i may have to be corrected but i think all typhoons by this time had tempest tailpanes.

dave.

Hi Butler,

I second rotary's comments about the prop blades and the canopy.

I have used this Typhoon kit as a base to build a Tempest out of it and I have experienced the same canopy "issue". I have also reduced the prop blades chord by about 3mm and they still look like paddle :lol: !

Would you be interested in having a look, you can find info in the RAF GB. You will also possibly find info on the cockpit (I see you plan to leave the side panels open) and other stuffs. Not the definitive Typhoon/Tempest info source for sure but it can help I suppose. An other advise if I may... considering you are going into a lot of details... I would redo the wheel wells as the ones in the kit are quite poor/inaccurate.

Otherwise, I love this Typhoon kit and you are actually starting on a very ambitious basis considering this is your second plane model!

Good luck, can not wait to see more :o

Cheers,

Loic

Edgar - thanks for the offer, i'd be very grateful to see your cockpit pics as my own references are quite grainy! I'll PM you my email address.

I do have some of photos of my own that might be useful to others, specifically the inside of the wheel wells and behind the air intake. Is anyone interested in these if I post them at the relevant point?

Rotary - The revell blades do look extremely wide, I think as i'm planning to add a forth anyway I might make them all from scratch. For the bubbletop i'm going to modify one from a Spitfire Mk22/24 - it just needs extending slightly and a flare adding to either side, plus the top flattening off. Luckily the additions are painted parts so should tie in OK. I'll find out once I start :lol:

As far as the tailplane - I have photos of both sorts on rocket versions, although I do prefer the Tempest type. I think i'll play that one by ear for now!

go for it butler----------and you'll get loads of advice on this site---there are great guys here but i have to second loics mentioning that this is an ambitious build, though i'm not convinced with the canopy but look forward to seeing it come together mate.

cheers,

dave.

hi butler---------i know your'e keeping this o.o.b. but these things are like a frankenstien monster if your like many of us------that is they take over with a life of there own!!!!!!! therefore------just in case your'e not aware----M.D.C. do some lovely goodies for the tiffie, worth looking mate--even if just for 'sky' codes for rocket firing options. but they have so much more-------go on spend some money, you'll hate yourself later if you don't.

cheers,

dave.

hi butler---------i know your'e keeping this o.o.b. but these things are like a frankenstien monster if your like many of us------that is they take over with a life of there own!!!!!!! therefore------just in case your'e not aware----M.D.C. do some lovely goodies for the tiffie, worth looking mate--even if just for 'sky' codes for rocket firing options. but they have so much more-------go on spend some money, you'll hate yourself later if you don't.

cheers,

dave.

I'd love to, but cash is short at the moment. This model is intended to keep me in the house for a while so I don't spend money! I'm going to be changing pretty much everything on the model though, so i'll have to work on my scratch building skills ;)

Here's what i've done to the lower wing this evening - removed the wheel wells and reduced the length of the area inside the air intake (hatched for removal). I then bent up part of the remaining area. This allows the bottom of the engine frame to sit in the right place, and it looks a bit more like the real thing.

post-4669-1220566033.jpg

Here is the real thing.....

A quick note for anyone who has studied this plane at hendon - the radiator is actually from a truck and was hacked into shape when the exhibit arrived in the 1960's. All the removable panels are reproductions, and the spinner is from a different type of plane altogether!

post-4669-1220566138.jpg

^^^^^^ Note also on this plane there is a actuating rod passing through the air intake, although on the museum plane the rod itself is missing.

Here is how far I have got this evening with the engine frame. I'll extend this rearwards into the cockpit once front is finished.

P.s. i hope i'm not posting too many pictures ;)

post-4669-1220566500.jpg