Hawker Typhoon - Revell 1:32

Butler

Added a bit more detail before bed. I just need to add a couple of bits and bobs from my reference photos, including some mysterious steel rods, wires, compressed air bottles, and what i assume are brake lines.

I'll post a couple of my reference photos tomorrow incase they are useful to anyone else <_<

post-4669-1221259969.jpg

but that has got to be a photo. of a full size restoration--- in some museum or something surely-------surely??????????? seriously though---looks like this build might turn into a 'benchmark' -------- oh by the way---'don't call me shirley'!!!!!!!

very impressive,

dave.

but that has got to be a photo. of a full size restoration--- in some museum or something surely-------surely??????????? seriously though---looks like this build might turn into a 'benchmark' -------- oh by the way---'don't call me shirley'!!!!!!!

very impressive,

dave.

Actually there is only one surviving Typhoon in the world, yup only one!

Its a Mk 1 located at the RAF museum in Hendon UK. Here are a few pics I took only last Wednesday as I was there on holidays.

Ron

P9090357.jpg

P9090342.jpg

P9090340.jpg

P9090338.jpg

P9090337.jpg

Hey Ron,

I am glad (cause I think this is good news :blink: ) to say I think your are wrong when saying the Hendon Typhoon is the only one left in the world... There is at least an other one in the "Memorial pour la paix" museum in Caen (normandy - France).

You can see 1 pic here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8565433@N04/531465587/

Cheers,

Loic

I believe that the Normandy example is a fibreglass replica - my reference book shows that this plane was destroyed by flak fire in Mezidon in July 1944 ;)

I've also been to visit the Hendon plane and it really dominates the hanger. The most beautiful plane they have is (of course) the Spitfire, but at Hendon the Typhoon imediately draws your attention.

Hi Butler,

you might be right, I can not be positive either way.

I just remember it did really look the real thing during my last visit to the memorial but I should also say that this was more than 10 years ago...

Anyway, you are so right about the Hendon one that just stands out as well as the Beaufighter that used to be next to it.

The bomber hall is also most impressive... No question that Hendon is a great museum!

I remember this old flying boat fuselage behind the Typhoon that is all made of wood: this is one of the most esthetic/beautifull plane I have ever seen.

Cheers,

Loic

i also am a great admirer---and frequent visitor to hendon-----and i was being a bit flippant when i compared your wheel well to a full size restoration butler------it was just my way of complimenting your skills.

dave.

yes butler ---you are right by the way----there are 'bits' of genuine typhoons elsewhere-- but hendons is the only real one complete.

it was, for a time in america where it had a small case installed within the cockpit area stencilled----P38-G-3-LO-42-12-791 ---just a nice little add on whilst it was being evaluated just after the war.

cheers,

dave.

typ.jpg

Here is a scan of the visitors guide for Hendon on the Typhoon.

I am pretty sure this is in fact the only "real" one left. They also have the only complete examples of a Stuka, BF-110, JU-88, Defiant and Ki-100 in the world. Well worth the visit.

Butler, your wheel wells are pretty darn accurate from what I can tell

nice work

Ron

I read somewhere else that the Brits hated the Typhoon, as it was an extremely temperamental and labor intensive aircraft......

When the Tempest came out, they could not scrap all the Typhoons fast enough. I find it interesting that the Tempest was regarded so differently, since it used the same basic engine.

At any rate, that hatred and frustration with the Typhoon is purportedly the reason why none are left. No one had any good feelings about it. Only the one in the USA survived.

It amazes me sometimes how short sighted we can be with regard to recognizing historically significant aircraft.

remember the typhoon---like so many other wartime aircraft was rushed into production and used operationally when it would not have been allowed to fly in peacetime until all the bugs were 'ironed out'---nothing unusual in this. it was nevertheless a potent ground attack weapon when it was needed-----and was not wanted after the war----think of the lancaster, halifax and a boat load of others. and most countries scrap weapons that served them dutifuly after they are no longer needed. sad.

dave.

Here's the wheel wells finished at last! I've included parts of the undercarriage legs and the actuating piston for closing the doors so I don't have to fiddle about later.

At least 60% of this was done when I came back from the pub last night - I can't really remember doing it, but it was a nice suprise in the morning :P

post-4669-1221419004.jpg

And here's some of my reference photos. The nice people at Hendon let me pass under the 'velvet rope' to get these!

I'm guessing that the brown stuff is Waxoyl or similar that they've used to preserve the inside of the wing, rather than dirt or oil? I've reproduced that look anyway because it looks a bit more interesting than plain silver!

post-4669-1221419313.jpg