Hawker Typhoon - Revell 1:32

Butler

Hey buttler,

if I may suggest, the squadron vac canopy really add a lot to the look of tht Typhoon.

I think it really worth the limited cost... Ok, I had mine for free thanks to Russ but now that I have seen it, I would/will not hesitate to buy an other couple!

Cheers,

Loic

Thanks for the comments!

I've finished the engine half of the tubular frame, just got to add some ancilleries to the bulkhead. Amazingly the engine matches up to its exhaust cutout in the fuselage, which is more luck than judgement!

Sorry about the bluriness in this picture. I hope you can see that i've added a small portion of the main spar (artistic license as i've never seen any photos) so that when the wing goes on it looks like something is holding it on!

post-4669-1220706071.jpg

Fantastic work Butler and very nice scratch building indeed. Hard to believe it is just your second build. Keep up this brilliant work. you chose a difficult subject so you have quite a challenge but from what you have shown so far you are more than up to it.

Just finished construction of the tubular frame - just got to weather it and add everything that's attached to it now!

The frame is made from sprue, cotton buds and bonsai wire - the coton buds are especially useful as they are hollow tubular themselves. I plan to use very thin slivers of these to create some of the smaller dials.

The frame tubes are slightly overscale I think, but i'm not too bothered as they have the desired effect! (the black is shiney because it's still wet).

post-4669-1220745668.jpg

Finished the instrument panel and controls. The instrument panel is the revell version with the original decal applied, then circles of lead wire or slivers of cue-tip added around the dials. The remaining decal surface was then painted black, just leaving the area inside the circles. I popped a drop of Johnsons Klear (future) in each dial to seal the circles in. I'll add another drop in each to create the glass finish.

The compass top is a sliver of transparent sprue, the end rounded with sandpaper, then buffed clear again on my jeans ;)

The rudder pedals are completely scratch built, and the control stick is the Revell version tidied up a bit with some wires added. I also added an extension to the instument panel using the reference photos that Edgar Brooks emailed me.

Still got a lot of small bits to add to this, then it's ready to fit into the fuselage. I'll make the oil tank and engine a little later in the build.

post-4669-1220826998.jpg

Wow James!!, I like your style. Alternate materials, innovative technique, and lots of scratch-building! :P Welcome to LSP dude, glad to see you've arrived. I can't believe this is only your second build, you're a natural at this man! Good to see somebody your age building in this fashion, it bodes well for the hobby.

Most impressive effort, keep it up! Can't wait to see more progress pics! :blink: Later, Russ