Hasegawa Emil

Another quick update while this build is still a going concern...

I've tried to tidy up the cockpit sill areas, which didn't fare well at all after getting the cockpit into place. I've added styrene sheet strips to the tops of the resin side walls in order to get them level with the fuselage sides, and cover the ugly gaps that were there:

post-3071-1208693023.jpg

Since that photo I've tidied things up a bit more with some liberal doses of Mr Surfacer.

Thanks to a nudge from Patrick, I've revisited the engine cowling and removed the lower panels on each side, as they were fixed to the fuselage and not the cowling:

post-3071-1208693513.jpg

The Hasegawa razor saw came in handy here too. I've also scribed an additional hatch, which is looking a bit ugly at the moment, but should clean up like the others.

Man, there's still so much work to do in this build!

Kev

The butchery continues as I move onto the wheel wells! I was getting a little sick of banging my head against the fuselage, so I started the task of removing the kit's wheel wells in preparation for fitting the Cutting Edge resin examples:

post-3071-1208780449.jpg

This was achieved with the combination of a drill bit in a pin vise, a hobby knife, some slashing with cutting wheel in the Dremel, and finally some surgical snipping with a small pair of sprue cutters. Now it's onto the files and sanding sticks in order to get an even, scar-free surface for the resin wells.

Let's hope this area gives me less trouble than the fuselage!

Kev

Thanks Texas and Dan. I'm definitely still here plugging away! Work continues on the wheel wells while I wait for the courage to return to the fuselage. I've now got the Cutting Edge resin wheel wells fixed into place:

post-3071-1208865146.jpg

Fit isn't bad, but alignment is key, and I didn't get it perfect here. I think they'll be tricky to fair in convincingly, but I'm prepared to die trying. Now there's commitment for ya!

Here's a shot of the detail provided in the Cutting Edge set:

post-3071-1208865727.jpg

I'm not going to add any more to it, as it's already light-years beyond what was there. You can see the clean up work that's still ahead of me too.

Kev

Looks like I'm gonna have to get one of dos fancy photo-etch saw-blades. No hobby shop around here carries them, where did you get yours? I need yet another sharp pointy hacking tool B) , and it looks like you can get pretty "surgical" without taking out a lot of plastic with those.

Glad to see you're still working on this project Kevin! Dadgummit, now I want to get some resin pieces and cut up a perfectly good model kit. You're a bad influence dude! ;) Russ

Looks like I'm gonna have to get one of dos fancy photo-etch saw-blades. No hobby shop around here carries them, where did you get yours?

Actually Russ I can't remember exactly, but it was online somewhere. Probably either eBay or Lucky Model. I've only separated and used one saw so far - there's a few of them in the set whose exact purpose is a complete mystery to me!

B)

Kev

Kevin, hang in there! It's looking good, and the change to the wing will help you keep your sanity. You might scuff the surfaces, and run some CA on the outside of the resin wells, to solidify the join.(da inside of da wing)

Hi Kev,

good idea to switch to the wing indeed... that will change your mind for a while.

Those resin set are quite interesting as I have one of those baby about half built since years now (man, I actually have at least 10 half build models since years...). Could I please ask you to take a shot of the rearward wall for me?

Thanks,

Loic

Thanks fellas.

Kevin, hang in there! It's looking good, and the change to the wing will help you keep your sanity. You might scuff the surfaces, and run some CA on the outside of the resin wells, to solidify the join.(da inside of da wing)

Ja, did that Mike. I'm hoping it'll help fill some of the gaps too, but I won't know until a coat of primer. Of course, I didn't remove enough of the extraneous resin on the rear of the parts, and now the engine firewall sits on top of them, rather than slipping down behind! Oh well, should be an easy fix, as along as I manage not to rip them out again.

Could I please ask you to take a shot of the rearward wall for me?

Do you mean the inside of the wells themselves Loic? I'll get a shot or two up this evening (my time) for your viewing pleasure, but they don't follow the contour of the well opening at that point. A bit more like a Mustang wheel well really, in that there's a recessed area that goes back into the wing. I think this was often hidden by a canvas cover on the real thing, but I'm going to leave it open.

Kev

OK, here's my next little "challenge":

post-3071-1208945284.jpg

Hopefully you can see what's happening in the photo, but basically, the lower engine-bearer firewall attachment points are fouling with the rear of the resin wheel wells. ;)

I could cut them away but I fear that would leave the entire engine assembly hanging by a thread. Although, it would be supported at the forward end by the fuselage anyway - particularly where the prop mounting shaft juts out past the end.

Are we having fun yet?

:D

Kev

Righto, I've managed to get past that little problem:

post-3071-1209025530.jpg

I cut the engine-bearer arms, and ironically, the engine sprang upwards rather than sagged down. It still wasn't enough though, as the height of the wheel well prevented the wing and fuselage from getting anywhere near each other at the front. Lots of judicious sanding and scraping has, thankfully, sorted that out.

More soon.

Kev

Ahah!!!, Isn't it ironic that things work out,...by sometimes not working out?! :rolleyes: hah! Nice recovery buddy.(nice wheel wells too) I was just thinking,oh the possibilities for an engine re-alignment, when I saw that engine bearer in the way. Whuf!, glad it sprung in the right direction.....ya had me going there for a second. :rolleyes: This build has it all, drama, suspense, that fuzzy "guy gets the girl in the end" relief when things continue on. Now, if you could just squeeze in some sex and violence(please don't cut your fingers like I did! :rolleyes: ) you'd have an epic odyssey going on here. Geez, my fingernails are all chewed off, and I've got more grey hairs now, and my fingers hurt from all the hand wringing....I can't stay away from this thread. Had to pop in and see how you're doing, and get my Kevin "fix" for the night. Ahhhh, satiation. Glad to see the story is still unfolding. Be back tomorrow...same time/ same channel! Later, Russ