Chromate Yellow

Copperhead

Does anyone have a recommendation for an accurate chromate yellow color? There seems to be a good deal of variation between manufacturers, and none that I have looked seem to match period photographs very well. All replies appreciated.

Hi Coppehead!

Using more enamels, I'm not familiar with Chris's Polyscale, but I'm sure it's a good choice. I've found in enamels the following Model Master and Testors paints. (The Grey and Interior Green are included for reference - all shot on 'white' paper) HTH:

post-132-1181592582.jpg

Hi copperhead,

Chromate yellow wasn't a color, just chromate zinc.

It's color was variable from the almost fluo greenish to the warm pale yellow.

Anyone who lived in the 30's, 40's or 50's has seen that stuff.

In other words, you can't go wrong with any of the available paints, they're different but all correct.

tourist is correct about the chromate zinc, the baby poop yellow is it's natural 'color'. Everything else is a dirivetive of adding something to it to get another 'color'. Such as adding lamp black to chromate zinc to get green chromate zinc etc.

As mentioned above, It is not really a color, but a specific mix of Zinc powder with a carrier agent, usually clear lacquer.

There were specific ratios for different applications.

As a side note, Boeing specified that the apple Green colored primer be used in areas exposed to the elements such as wheel and flap wells, and the Yellow colored stuff was for areas sealed from the outside weather, like fuel cells inside wings.

That implies that the "exterior" material may have had some other additive to protect the coating.

As a side note, if you mention Zinc Chromate primer to a railroad modeler, he thinks of a very dark maroon primer.

Norm

Hi Copperhead

Welcome to LSP :D

Ditto to comments already made, it also depends on what type of aircraft your building and era

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004...rs_us_part2.htm

If you have a read through this article, it will be of immense help to you.

To answer your original question, I like using Humbrol so a good match for "Zinc Chromate Yellow: is

Humbrol 81 (pale yellow)

If you want the apple green type or Interior Green: Humbrol 151 Interior Green

HTH :rolleyes:

Alan