21st Century F4U-1D kit

Thanks Ian!

Got some good work done on it today. No pics yet, though. Got the various coats of semi-gloss and flat clears laid down, plus most of the weathering and the exhaust stains. Right now the gear doors and windshield are drying. Once the rest of the Fiddley Bits are on and the final weathering is done I'll shoot some pics.

Stay tuned...

D

Thanks Texas! I'm very flattered that my humble build has inspired you to build one, too. Be sure to post some pics for us! :)

This one is done. :) Too late to shoot any pics, though. :( Baring the unforseen, I should get some posted tomorrow.

D

Here you go (pic 1 of 5):

post-30-1192239153.jpg

A few notes:

1) The kit's way-too-skinny prop was replaced with a salvaged Revell F4U prop. A styrene rod was milled down with a file while chucked in the drill press to fit into the prop hub and engine case. It is removable in case I feel the need to duplicate it in resin for my future 21C Corsair builds.

2) The tail gear leg was modified to be installed 90° from center just to add interest. I regret this because I think it detracts from the look rather than adding to it.

3) The gun sight was cut down to more closely represent the 1:1 F4U's sight. The lowest 'L' was simply cut off and the remaining 'L' glued to the underside of the IP hood.

4) The kit's antenna mast was cut down, reshaped and installed further forward on the spine than the molded slot would have you install it. The leftover slot was in the perfect location for the spine formation light, so that was filled with epoxy to leave a clear lens bump.

5) The tail hook had to be cut down in length by about 3/8" in order to fit properly. Not sure what they were thinking with this because the hook would only fit into the well with the tailwheel retracted.

6) The canopy slides, and the prop rotates. All of the other operating features were glued stationary.

4 more pics coming shortly...

5 of 5:

post-30-1192240433.jpg

All things considered, this was a fun build. There were more than a few challenges, but not so many as to suck the fun out of it. There are also some noticable shape issues, but it still is unmistakabley a Corsair. I'll be building more of these! :)

D

Thanks Keith!

Cool! I'm dying to see that one finished, and curious to see how yours turns out (having just 'been there, done that').

Kev

Thanks Kev! Keep your eyes on this Stalled Projects forum. As soon as it is officially underway again, I'll be starting a thread...

D