Hobbycraft 1/32 A-36

Firecaptain

l emailed Hobbycraft a while ago but did not recieve an answer yet. :) Man that must have been a month ago or more now. l should try again and see if l get a response. l asked them the statis of both mustangs and the sea fury

hacker B) B)

I saw that test shot preview a while back and thought that it couldn't be too much longer before we'll see an A-36.

With the new Dragon Mustang out, my memjory knocked on the door and reminded me of that Apache and got me wondering what the status of it was.

Thanks for the replys

As for converting an A-36 into a P-51B I'd probably wait for the P-51A release at least. There are supposed to be 3 releases minimum, an A-36 (dive bomber), P-51 (cannon armed) and P-51A the ultimate Allison engined Mustang. Now going on what Accurate Miniatures did with thier kits in 48th which came out in pretty much the same way as the 32nd Hobbycrafts - even down to the first three types released, as that it was pretty much an entirely new fuselage to go with the 'A' wings. What would really surprise me is if the designers of this series of kits would NOT do what Accurate did and release a B and C in the next year or two to capitalize on a gaping hole in the 32nd market.

A hint when we do get ahold of the 'A' is look at the wings and see if there are flashed over locator holes in the wing for flap actuators outboard on the wing. The 'A' did not have them and when Accurate released teh 'B' with the same wing it was pointed out that they were missing. If these exist it would be 100% that the series will eventually get to the Merlin Mustangs.

It would probabaly be a 100% new nose minimum and possibly cockpit changes and I am not 100% sure of the radiator if it was the same between the Allison and Merlin engined aircraft.

Now we just have to get the kits out and to market.

Cheers

Matt

:blink: Question for the group. How hard would it be to convert this Kit (if an whne it comes out) to a P-51B?

Very difficult, quite aside from the different noses, because the two fuselages had different depths and the radiator scoops had both different depths and different crossections.

Charles Metz

:D Question for the group. How hard would it be to convert this Kit (if an whne it comes out) to a P-51B?

It really depends on how adveturous you are, and how well the Hobbycraft kit will mate to the existing D kits.

The P-51 B had it's wing lowered by a few inches (to accomidate the RR Merlin). And the scoop for the radiator is clearly different. The lowered wing is why they installed the wooden floorboard. Thus a P-51A will have the lower wing as the pit floor, a B and up will have a plywood floor..

But, if one of the 1/32 scale D kits is about the same width - you could graft the B spine onto the D fuselage and use the Hobbycraft wing to get a B. It might be more work than it's worth - but that would work (if the parts cooperate).

There would be some extra effort required to make the wing fit (ect) but it might be possible. If the kits cooperate, it might actually be easy. It just depends on how closely the D and B spines match up.

The pit layout is different as well, but if you have gone this far that probably won't be a real big concern for you.

Regards,

--Frank

found this surfing the Model Airplane International site

1:32 (IM)

HC1710 North American A-36A 'Axis Busting Apache' NT*

HC1711 North American P-51 'Operation Torch' NT*

HC1712 North American P-51A 'Air Commandos' NT*

HC1713 North American Mustang Mk IA 'Armed Recon' NT*

TBA Hawker Sea Fury FB Mk 11 NT

Note:

1 - Collaboration between Trumpeter and Hobbycraft, both will issue these kits under their own labels

just for those who are curious

hacker :) B)