Matchbox ME 109

Chris Braid

Seeking guidance, was thinking of turning my Matchbox 109E into a Swiss variant and was wondering.

1. Can the cutting Edge cockpit and wheel wells be adapted to fit?

2. What other modifications will I have to consider?

3. Should I just not bother? :blink:

Any help, tips or guidance greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Just some ideas for u and what i have used with the revell 109 kit and using the pit from the hase G-6 kit which fite into the fuselage alittle snug.But with some sanding and refitting it worked out ok for the 109 i added to my JU-88 for my MISTEL project.U might want to get a pit and then test fit it and see what happens and what u need to do to have it sit into the fuselage.

I don't think that there is a kit that's out on the market that doesn't have a few bugs in it as to parts and etc. not fitting right.Or if u have the hase 109 E3/4 kit laying around as to test fittinf the pit from that kit and see what happens.Verlinden makes the detail se t for that kit and that could be what u need.But this is just an idea for u and i leave the rest up to u.Larry

Double check the Cutting Edge Website, but as I recall, they mentioned their E- series 'pits work in the Matchbox kit with a little modification. IMO the Matchbox kit is more accurate in general shape, and thus needs less work than the Hase kit, to bring up to snuff.

Chris

Astro32 is right, the Cutting Edge cockpit does say it'll fit with a little work. The instructions state that the instrument panel is slightly oversized to accomodate both kits. It does appear to dry fit into the matchbox fuselage quite well.

The set is really nice, much nicer than Verlinden's and well worth getting (in my opinion).

Don't know about the wheel wells? But you could do this yourself anyway as the Matchbox wells just need walls and roof detail added.

My opinion is that the Matchbox 109E is miles better than the Has. one. The panel lines are deep but a good sanding of all surfaces seems to reduce the effect. Everything seems pretty accurate, though some small problems around the oil cooler housings and associated area on the flaps.

Exhausts appear too thin, as are the openings for them in cowling - need Moskit or resin replacement. U/C legs look even more fragile than most 109s, though admittedly due to Matchbox trying to make them more like real thing! Wheels are a bit of a no no - need a set of 109F wheels from aires, tail wheel may be usable.

One of the worst parts is the canopy - not necessarily the shape, but the thickness of the plastic and all of my examples (5) have very prominent flow marks in the plastic - really needs either vac'd one, possibly spare from Aires 109F (think its the same for later square framed Es or maybe beg spare from Hasegawa E as these are quite nice and thin and Has. provide both types so people out there will have spare.

All in all, I'd rather be starting off with the Matchbox than Has kit.

Hope of help.

Matt