BV 155 V1

mattlow

Matt,

Might be easier to get a piece of NiChrome wire and hook it to a battery to make a foam cutter rather than spending all that money on a router. Just a thought.

Hope all is well,

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

Well the last week has been spent trying different way to do the wings and, more problematically, the large radiators.

After several designs I've opted for what you see below.

post-528-1154550016.jpg

Pic isn't very good! But basically a solid wing with cutout for the radiator area. Sides of the radiator fairing visible below wing. Tape holding one of the sides has slipped a bit!

View along the top of the wing - she's a big girl!!

post-528-1154550533.jpg

Here you can see the radiator sidewalls projecting behind the trailing edge. This top area is faired into the upper wing, the underneath of this area comprises four large adjustable louvres controlling air flow through the radiator.

The area in front of the radiator houses the mainwheels. I plan to cut out the wheel wells through the entire depth of the wing (- i.e. make a large hole) and then use plasticard to put a roof over the top (make sense?).

Last one for now.

This gives a good impression of the size of this beast - notice the 109G under the wing!

post-528-1154551016.jpg

Obviously the wings are currently just blocks of foamboard and will now require some pretty heavy duty sanding-shaping-checking-sanding......, especially around the complex contours of the radiator/wheelbay housing.

Long way to go but all the basic shapes are now there.

Thanks for looking

Matt

Matt,

Looking good. Your skill with foam is amazing. You should do a Tips and Techniques (when your done of course)

Good to see youre making progress. She's really looking good. Lets see lots more.

Regards,

Geoff.

• 3 months later...

Progress is very slow. Since last update I've been working on the wings.

The large fairings for the radiators and u/c are proving complex shapes to reproduce - here's where I'm at.

post-528-1162756386.jpg

Top of stbd wing showing u/c well (bottom still needs cutting out. Plasticard edged in Squadron green putty covers a rebate in the wing into which I sank a section of brass tube for strength.

And here's one I made earlier..

Its still at quite a rough stage, trying to get all the curves right. This side of the wing actually has its airfoil roughed out as well.

The cutout is not a landing light! Its for me to attach the u/c later

post-528-1162756900.jpg

Jamie - thanks, I just hope I've got the will power to finish it before it finishes me!

Brian - currently using Halfords auto primer/filler which goes onto the foamboard without any problems. As I'm mostly using 80 grit sandpaper it'll need several coats of this stuff to get the smooth finish needed for scribing, riveting and painting. The board isn't too 'open' in structure and sands quite nicely to a smooth surface with fine paper.

Matt

Matt,

It's comming on really well, isn't it :) It's really nice to see how other modellers tackle scratch building problems. I like the foam board approach that you are tacking. A few technical questions regarding the board:

1) Where is it available from? (I'm in the UK).

2) How is it to work with? (is the material density sufficient to handle, cut, shape and glue to without distortion or denting?).

3) Is there a product link anywhere so that I can assess this product a little more?

Thanks for sharing your build with us thus far. I wish you all the luck in the world with this build, as it is pretty inspiring to see such a beast being created.

Best regards

Derek