F-8E Crusader

Gene

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the encouragement!! This model is more of a trench fight than I have ever encountered. It is the Combat Models vac (about 5 or 6 years old) and the amount it was out of scale had me checking and rechecking 4 or 5 times with other drawings and dimensions. So yes, it is corrected--that big gap on the top of the wing is an idea of the problem. So far, the fuselage is pretty well sorted out--I can hardly wait for the fun to start!!

I'll post a teaser now and then.

Gene

Gene,

Well Now!U'er F-8 is taking shape and u got the prob's about solved and for the wing gaps,from the pic's u posted.Vac's have that prob at times and even over lap at times also.I have a trashed Revell Bug that if u want,has the wing fold still in the wings and can send them to u,so u can graph them into the gap in the wings and ad a little spare sheet to help with the gap filing.Other than that,u'er not far from getting ready to paint her.And by the way.I used the F-4 EJ seat in my RF-8G.It's about as close as u'er going to get,unless u want to scracth one.Keep up the good work.U'll like the finsihed project.Larry

Hi Larry!

Was kinda' hopin' the Master didn't see my struggles, but now that you have, thanks for the hints and offers of parts. So far I think I have my wing fold solution worked out. And for the seat, I was lucky enough to grab a 'left-over' from a Tamiya F-4 (they turn out to be very similar). The places where I still have many hours of work left (cockpit, undercarriage, etc) are hidden from view, but someday all will be revealed. You might have to drive stakes in the ground to notice my progress though!

Have a Happy New Year!

Gene

Gene,

U won the battle of getting that far with the F-8 and forgot to mention about using the F-16 Viper kit under carriage for the main gear legs,but u might have to add some tubing to set it out from the fuselage a bit,but not to where it will be noticeable.Did it to mine and it worked out ok.For the nose gear,i scracthbuilt that using some tubing and a little bit of sheet,to form the angle of the axle,with that backwards off set.If u need a nose wheel,i can send something to u and for the main wheel and tires.I have them also.

I want to see that puppy done and if possible in the next two months,unless u get wasted tonight and can't find u'er way home.Let me know and the parts are at u'er disposial.Larry

Thanks Lee and Larry,

For the leads on possible undercarriage solutions. Interesting how similar the F-16 gear is to the F-8 even to the point that the F-8 gear looks too small for the size of the plane (but the same size looks just right on the F-16). Some time ago I had ordered a set of Roberts Model pieces for the F-8 (photo attached). They seem to be a good basis to detail from and the main gear are metal reinforced resin casting. They may not be on the cutting edge, but a good start. Thanks for your generosity of time and materials.

And Larry, think I'll be a typical contractor and complain that your deadline is not reasonable!!!

post-4-1072969521.jpg

Gene!!!!!!!

Many had the idea of building the Crusader, a lot attempteted, but only a few got as far as you are now.

GREAT JOB. I love it.

I love classical jets of the sixties, and the Crusader ranks very high on that list.

I will build a F-8E(FN), but I've put that one on hold just for a bit because Aerodynamix listed the F-8 on their future release list.

But you know how it is with these lists, so could you please share a few thoughts on the Combat kit, you know problems and fixes.

Anymore images would be cherished.

Keep up tha amazing work!!!

Kindest regards

Saso

Thanks Saso for the encouragement!

The F-8 is really quite an interesting plane and somewhat neglected as a model. I just liked how it looks, but doing some research on the bird and all kinds of amazing things turn up. For example although it uses the same engine as the F-100, the F-8 is over 2 tons lighter and it is a carrier plane, which tend to be heavier than their AF counterparts.

As for the Combat Models kit (the one I'm using is 5 or 6 years old) has some definite scale problems. As Lee pointed out above, the vac measures to be a 1:36 scale. The attached photo shows what that means; the top photo is the original vac laid against a scale drawing at a true 1:32. The photo below shows red lines where I cut the vac to apply over bulkheads to bring the fuselage up to 1:32. I'm into the same process for the wings now (the first shot shows how big the gap in the wing is).

What is really fun with this plane are all the different ways to display it; wing up, wing down, folded or not, air brake or not, gun bay, refueling probe out or in. And it is quite colorful bird as well. The F-8E (FN) would be a great subject! And then there are the recons---

post-4-1073086025.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After viewing that picture I think I will gladly wait for the Aerodynamix kit of the F-8 and the Sanger of the F-102. These are the two kits I planned on buying from Combat.

But you have indeed done some incredibile work on the thing. I bet you are itching to get on the details.

What will be the livery? VF-211 I presume?

Keep at it and have fun

Saso

• 4 years later...
Stumbled upon this thread and was wondering as to the progress of this project. I assume with the upcoming Trumpeter kit this project could either be completed (with parts of Trumpeter) or abandoned...

Still the details and work on this kit are impressive...!! :rolleyes:

Hi, was wondering the same, but now with the upcoming injection Crusader, it might get stalled even further, but you're right, it is a great piece of vac/scratch building.

And you're totally right about the F8-U, it's a great looking aircraft, as a matter of fact this subject was my very first model kit, it being the old Revell issue with the fantastic box art more than 40 years ago, ahhhh, those memories... :rolleyes:

So Gene, how's your model doing, still alive?

cheers,

jack.