LAAARGEEE 1:1 Thunderjet modeling,help need...

AEROPOXY

Hi,

Here in Novi Sad-Serbia we have one preserved F-84G Thunderjet series 31 ex USAF 52-8421 and want to restore it in colours of Yugoslav AF 10703, 1960, when it was bought from Greek Air Force.

Local aero club modelers community will do the restoration work and paintwork.So, we want to modeling something realy large, 1:1 scale ( anyone

have similar experience?)

We currently search for its USAF and Greek AF service history , to determine its paint scheme uppon arrival in Yugoslav AF, as want to restore it in possible overall silver scheme, not the one Gray/Dark Green/Light blue from its end of service .

Currently, this plane is more or less complete and need some paint work .

18703_thunderjet_2.jpg

18703_thunderjet_1.jpg

18703_thunderjet_3.jpg

18703_thunderjet_4.jpg

18703_thunderjet_5.jpg

We need the more info about its USAF service history, Greek AF service history and photos.

Any info will be greatly appreciated,

Thanx

AEROPOXY-Nenad

She looks a bit rough, I would say you have a 3 to 4 year job ahead of you, at very least.

You're going to have to strip this aircraft back to the frame and check for rust and damage, then repair all effected areas properly...btw when I mean strip I mean tear it apart and look everywhere, not just pop a few panels off and have a look inside. I can see skin damage, missing access hatches and surface rust, the fact that the canopy is broken and open means that water and other stuff ie birds, may have gotten inside, that can set up very bad corrosion where the water has pooled and im betting that there is bad corrosion inside...but as I said, you will have to strip the aircraft right down in your repair work. Remember you may have to procure replacement parts so you will need some money, look at getting a sponsor or two to bring in some money to your project.

You cant repaint the aircraft in the condition it is at the moment. While it is in pieces and you are doing the above mentioned things, I suggest that you strip off all the paint from the external panels....that way, when you re assemble the aircraft you will have a nice surface to paint on (Personally I would like the camoflauge scheme better :-) ).

I also hope you have a nice place indoors to display it when its finished.

I've been around aircraft museums since I was born and my father has over 30 years experience in restoring aircraft, trust me, this is not a model kit.

I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom either. It can be very rewarding doing this kind of work. However, please don't think that all this plane needs is a quick sand back and some paint because I can see it needs a lot more attention than that.

Hi,

Thanx for all the tips and instructions, this is greatly welcomed.

No, the Thunderjet will not be back in flying condition.

It was withdrawn from service in 1974 and since than, exposed in open and looks pretty complete and after 32 years. Here are almost of dozen preserved, 4 at Yugoslav aviation museum and some at schools, kindergarten parks and even army barracks(this one is from there).

The plane will be displayed at local sport airfield,here:

Cenej_aerial%20photo.jpg

There are some certified aeroplane mechanics, aviation enthusiasts and modelers and hope we do all the best to complete and restore this plane in nice colour scheme.

BTW, as expert, which primer you suggest for duraluminium base coat, prior the final paint layer.

Regards

Nenad-Aeropoxy

He didn't say he was going to fly it!

Chris...

I know, but if you dont cure the corrosion inside, the aircraft will rot from the inside out!

As for a good primer, I'll ask....they should have a good answer, I hope lol.

To search a history on a particular aircraft, you can contact the USAF Research branch at Maxwell AFB:

http://afhra.maxwell.af.mil/

You'll need the USAF serial number and whatever other info you can dig up. There may be a small charge for whatever you need, but I don't think it would be very much.

Corrosion is definitely going to be a factor here, especially since the airplane has been outside for all this time. Sheet metal work can be time consuming, and that will probably be about 80% of your work. Zinc chromate is an excellent primer for this kind of thing, and I would definitely paint the airplane inside and out if you intend to leave it outside. Make sure you remove all the bird nests and droppings, and watch out for whatever critters may have made their homes inside. I've run into snakes and other nasties recovering airplanes in the desert, and it's no fun!!

Trade-A-Plane can be a good source for locating spare parts, you never know what will pop up there.

What Brad sez about corroding from the inside out is quite true. Its vital to stop the corrosion process inside the structure or you will end up with something like what FM104, the Toronto Aerospace Museum Lancaster looks like. Beautifully painted filligree. The aluminum on that airframe is tissue thin in spots from people climbing in with road salt on their boots, bird poop and smog.

Sabre

He didn't say he was going to fly it!

Chris...

I know, but if you dont cure the corrosion inside, the aircraft will rot from the inside out!

As for a good primer, I'll ask....they should have a good answer, I hope lol.

Ain't that the truth. I volunteer at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo doing restoration and it is simply amazing how destroyed the metal can be when you strip the paint to finally see it. More importantly, if you prime and paint over it you'll get some lovely blistering and flaking in only a few months. Heck, you ought to see what decommissioning concrete plugs do to an airframe. . .

Lots of quality time with an orbital sander ahead if you want the replacement paint job to last for any length of time. Sandblasting would be much faster but much more expensive.

Matt

Thanx for the tips, again,

Any chemical proces for paint removing.

Here we have some sort of paste named "Dezol" which works great on standard paints and steel surfaces, but have no idea will be aluminium prone to this chemies,

Regards, Nenad/Aeropoxy

Thanx for the tips, again,

Any chemical proces for paint removing.

Here we have some sort of paste named "Dezol" which works great on standard paints and steel surfaces, but have no idea will be aluminium prone to this chemies,

Regards, Nenad/Aeropoxy

I'll ask this weekend at the Air Zoo.

Matt