Post War Hellcat Question

I'm closing the gap on the referance material for a commission build of a post-war F6F-5. Here is a snapshot of a cat from the unit and timeframe.

This is a '53 photo, cats in the B/G and this one apear overall dark blue as one would expect. But, what color are the gear doors?

:lol:

post-2-1146537979_thumb.jpg

It looks like it could be yellow or white. Both colours were used. Were the scans any good by the way, didn't hear anything back from you?

<_<

scans?

uhhh....need a memory refresher here Vernon. Sorry I've been out of town for the last few days.

Hellcat stuff?

For my .02, how about International Orange? B & W photos are tricky to interperet, because the film does not always interperet the color's intensity the way you'd think. Yellow might appear black, or white, depending on the film being used, for instance. Orange could be somewhere in between or white or gray? My instincts tell me yellow in these photos, but International Orange could be a possibility. It was a well-used color at that time.

Hey Chris, I"ll go out on a limb and say it glossy sea blue but with the sunlight

bouncing off of it, it looks lighter in color. In the 2nd photo, notice how the sun

hits that guys face in the close-up...yeah, the one that looks so mad. How can you be angry if you get to fly an F6F? <_< It really puts a shine on it, especially his forehead and nose. I'm guessing its mid-day and the sun is nearly straight up. The landing gear door is rounded and protrudes forward just like the beak on that guy. The undercarraige doors are probably still nice and shiney as they are shaded most of the time. Its just a light exposure thing caught at the right time and not a color issue at all. Well, thats my theory and I"m stiking to it :angry:

Oooooops....sorry to double post but I'm wrong. Just noticed the little rectangular doors above the landing gear that has the number on it...thats a color issue and not over-exposure. :D Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program. Wow, thats a tough one...easy answer would be white or yellow...maybe orange like you see on some Bearcats from that same time period. Good luck on this one <_<

Mr Tomason over on HS noted that some night fighter fleet Hellcats had white legs and doors to help deck crew stay oriented with the prop in the dark.

That seems plausable to me, and I found this little picture shortly after....

hellcat-001.jpg

...yes yes...I know it's French ;)

So that sort of seals the deal for me. I'm thinking that this training unit was given F6F-5Ns from a fleet night fighter unit. Now all I need to do is find out if the pods were still on and if ATU-300 had a color tail band.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Chris,

Interesting dilemna you have there. Im no expert on colors, but the overall scheme of, if you can see it, paint it blue, would appear to to be missing in your photo. Judging from the looks of that tire, that bird seems to need some help. Even if the pic were very washed out, which it isnt, it wouldnt make that gear door or the strut look almost white or aluminum in color. Is it just a field fix that was never painted? I gotta look at that thing again.

Chris,

Interesting dilemna you have there. Im no expert on colors, but the overall scheme of, if you can see it, paint it blue, would appear to to be missing in your photo. Judging from the looks of that tire, that bird seems to need some help. Even if the pic were very washed out, which it isnt, it wouldnt make that gear door or the strut look almost white or aluminum in color. Is it just a field fix that was never painted? I gotta look at that thing again.

Ok, Just took another look. If you look at the shadows (or lack of them) the pic had to have been shot very near noon. That puts the gear in darkness under the wing. The gear and doors have to be some color other than the usual blue.

I would have to think white