Airfix 1/24th Spitfire Mk1

Eli Raphael

Airfix still use the same molds for this kit as they did when it was brand new, meaning insane amounts of flash in the worst possible places.

Not many parts - and wheel well detail is non-existant.

I think the fit is generally great though... and I think the removable engine cowlings, sliding canopy and retractable gear is a nice touch. I've had it displayed on a shelf, and now when running out of space I simply tucked the pilot in, put the landing gear in, closed the canopy, and hung it up the ceiling. :D

finished27_zpsf5a18fef.jpg

samling9_zps04221028.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

Personally, I still think this is a great kit with a lot of potential if you are happy to add a little extra detail. Overall, the shape is very good, and once built, looks every inch a Spitfire. I have seven or eight in the stash with three on the go at the moment. This is purely my personal preference, but I tend to pick up the older boxings as they are usually crisper in detail and lack the flash. Having said that, I did pick up the most recent boxing a few weeks back and found it far better than the 1990's boxings that I have. Have the moulds been cleaned up recently??

As already mentioned, you will need to scratch build some wheel wells. The cockpit can do with some extra work. Invest in the Grey Matter Figures resin replacement aerial mast, control column and U/C selector and also their pilots seat, as the kit part is waaay overscale. Also, try to pick up the Waldron Spitfire cockpit placards.

I did a lot of scratch building in the cockpit, but in this scale, it's nice and easy. I also rectified the radiator to reflect the scooped nature of the of the roof of the radiator housing as it is flat on the kit. There are lots of photos out there to illustrate the point. One thing not to overlook is the fact that this kit needs a wing spar. Otherwise the wings will have a very flat dihedral...very un-Spitfire like! I make a spar out of evergreen box section strip with the correct dihedral. This cures the problem and actually makes for a stronger model. The exhausts are wrong for a Mk I as they are the fishtail type. This can be easily fixed or do what I did and rob some from the Hurricane which will do with a little whittling.

Do not believe what you read about this kit have raised surface detail. It doesn't. It has some raised details, but panel lines are recessed. It is a good rendition of the detail on the real thing.

With a bit of extra work, this 40 year old kit will build into a great model. Give it a go!

Just my opinion of course..

Best regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep

The kits rivets are raised, but like Mr. Sweep said, all the panel lines, hatches and whatnot are recessed! You must have been lucky with the recent boxing though, Mr Sweep, as mine was absolutely riddled with flash. There was not a piece without it! I much prefer the 70's boxing that a friend was kind enough to gift me. The rivets are less pronounced, there's less flash, and the overall kit looks a lot more crisp.

The mould had to be cleaned up, since it was used as the basis for their 1/24 Vb, and the latest mouldings have been commendably clean. Rivets are raised only where they were raised on the real thing, with flush rivets where it mattered. There was a book, published by Patrick Stephens, and written by Roy Cross and Gerald Scarborough, called Spitfire Classic Aircraft No.1" ISBN 0-85059-082-5, which takes you through improvements; remember the kit is 44 years old, so it (and the book) reflects moulding and modelling techniques of a bygone era.

Edgar

The kit, like many of those early releases, lacks wheel well detail - an easy fix. To do the Mk.1a justice, however, you need to rob the engine from the Airfix Hurricane as that in the kit has only a passing resemblance of a Merlin. I've done it and the combination, along with a new firewall, enhanced engine mounts and some plumbing makes a world of difference.Spit1a.jpg

Eli , if you are planning to get one , try some of the vendors of older kist , like KingKit here in the UK , and try and get a hold of a first release , Its well worth it , they were really very well produced kits when they were new,  

Edited by Scotsman