LSP aerobatic sport planes?

pzcreations

Guest The Southern Bandit

Interesting thread, sports planes are gorgeous in their own right, would love a Tamiya quality one.

Military aircraft are the main passion of course, but my weathering skills are not good, so I sometimes make them paint shop fresh or do some slight weathering I know I can get away with skill wise for my level ... however and arguably, getting a high gloss finish for something like a sports plane takes some skill too and would make a refreshing change ... this is one of the reasons I like to build 1/12 Motorcycles, to get that hi gloss, hi polished showroom finish.

Im right in the middle of Icaerodeigns Extra 300 SC. It is a great little kit, but as was pointed out, the 3D printed frame is quite rough, and will require sanding/filling.

I am about 75% or so completed with mine, and it has been a wonderful kit, save having to fill the 3D printed frame, but in my haste, I cracked the windscreen, and after 5 - 10 E-mail to Icaerodeign about a replacement with 0 response, Im at my wits end, and will now have to shelve the build.

Im done priming the model, and am ready for paint basically, but can go no further without a new canopy

Icaerodesign Extra 330-SC N73KG

Edited by Out2gtcha

aw man that sucks. one reason why I kinda steer away from resin garage kit planes. on the one build I saw, the cowl didnt match the fuse.. how bout yours? did it fit?

Yep! Fit was not too bad. Not perfect, and as all resin kits tend to need a little sanding TLC

Im right in the middle of Icaerodeigns Extra 300 SC. It is a great little kit, but as was pointed out, the 3D printed frame is quite rough, and will require sanding/filling.

I am about 75% or so completed with mine, and it has been a wonderful kit, save having to fill the 3D printed frame, but in my haste, I cracked the windscreen, and after 5 - 10 E-mail to Icaerodeign about a replacement with 0 response, Im at my wits end, and will now have to shelve the build.

Im done priming the model, and am ready for paint basically, but can go no further without a new canopy

Icaerodesign Extra 330-SC N73KG

If your contacts with Icaerodesign have failed, I can try to make a mold and vac copies of the canopy, using my own Icaerodesign kit as a master, Brian.

Hubert

If your contacts with Icaerodesign have failed, I can try to make a mold and vac copies of the canopy, using my own Icaerodesign kit as a master, Brian.

Hubert

Cool!   I havnt much hope of getting one from Icaerodesign, and the project is on 100% hold until I can.  

​Id be forever grateful if you could.     Thanks for the offer Hubert!! 

Cool!   I havnt much hope of getting one from Icaerodesign, and the project is on 100% hold until I can.  

​Id be forever grateful if you could.     Thanks for the offer Hubert!! 

No problem then. Just be aware that with my current family constraints this may not be a "done-tomorrow" thing. Just PM me your physical addy. I'll blow and send you more than one ;)

Hubert

A couple of years ago Paul Fisher acquired the molds and a handful of original kits from Pete Groves (Airshow Models). Paul put the original Pitts and Christen Eagle kits up on his website and I wasted no time ordering one. When I talked with Paul he said that he had a few ideas for improvements, but the original castings are pretty nice as is. I've been slowly tinkering away on this little gem for the last couple of years now, and it seems that I spend more time looking at it, and thinking about what I want to do next, than I do actually working on it. The next challenge will be the main struts - when I corrected the dihedral in the lower wing it changed the fit of the struts. Since they are cast resin they have been fiddly to work with and it may be easier to just scratch up some new ones. Here's how it looks so far:

lHXgucd.jpg

At this time we are in the midst of a long-planned house move and everything model related has been carefully packed away since last February. We finally get into our new house in June, and with luck I'll be able to finish this one before the end of the year. 

Cheers!

John.