P-51C "Evalina"

sluggo

Oh this gives me great confidence with the high polish alclads! Awesome work, where did you get the masks

I drew them in Illustrator using photos and profiles as reference then cut them on my vinyl cutter. I'm still working out the kinks involved in cutting small stuff but steadily gaining confidence.

Mad skills!!!!!!

You must be part body and fender guy, part sign guy, and part ubber skilled modeler.......really really nice stuff.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D LONG LIVE THE REVELLSTANG!!!!

The uber skilled modeler part has yet to be determined but you busted me on the other two. OCD does have some advantages............................. :frantic:

I've made some forward progress on the panel line dilemma. I still have some painting to do but had to get this off my plate. So I spent a couple of evenings in Illustrator devising a solution.

First I appropriated a 1:48 scale line drawing that seemed fairly accurate. Don't know that it truly is but it will get the job done. Scaled up 150% it should be pretty close in size. Next I scanned half of the fuselage from a derelict kit I have that was missing the lower wing. Regardless of what dpi you scan at the image will always be it's normal size when drug into Illustrator.

Here is the line drawing and scan place in the artboard.

pl0001.png

Next up was checking the size of the line drawing against the model. They were actually real close. I had to bump the scale up on the line drawing a tiny bit. It's really irrelevant which one is off in scale for this operation. All that really matters is that the line drawing matches the model. The next picture is the two properly sized.

pl0002.png

Even thought he line drawing was in the form of a .pdf, the lines were inconsistent in width. I think it may have been converted to .pdf from a .tif or .jpg at some point in it's life, Anyway, the line work sucked and was unusable.

The next pic is the lines redrawn in Illustrator with a consistent width of .005 laid over the other two images.

pl0003.png

The new line work. I still have some adjusting to do to some of the rivets and such but it's close enough for a test fit onto the derelict revellogram carcass. The lines in the image below look jagged and funky. It's been converted to .jpg. It's also sized down so as not be be a nuisance. Perfect example of why .jpgs are not very good for doing graphical work.

pl0004.jpg

Next step was to test cut the above drawing from it's vector version. Shown below applied to the victim of many a "test" It's pretty close, about 1.6mm too short on the length and 1.1mm on the height. Easily fixable in Illustrator. I did not count the rivets or Dzus fasteners but there are a bunch. The largest are .6mm in diameter and had to be picked out one by one with a number 11 exacto. Yeah, it took nearly an hour just pickin' rivets.

Anyway, here it is.

pl0005.jpg

As I was fitting these masks it occurred to me that this method has opened up at least 3 options for me.

1. Apply all parts of the mask and spray panel details on.
  2. Apply select parts of the masks with slight off-sets and panel paint it using different shades of Alclad sprayed from different angles. This would require some experimentation but I think you could get a pretty cool edge effect with some practice. 
  3. Use the mask as a scribing/drill template.

OK, so there is really on two options 'cause I ain't scribing this scum-bum.

Edited by sluggo

Finished painting the insignia and tail numbers. Trying to decide whether or not to do any of the stenciling. I still have to make panel line masks for the starboard fuselage and the wings. 

Got the canopy cleaned and polished to an (barely) acceptable transparency. I spent way more time than I should have but finally called it.

Here's where it's at. Had to use future on the canopy so it will be a couple days before I can do much with it so I'll work on the other masks. I'd like to wrap this turd up by the weekend so I can get going on my P-40.

p51b1000001.jpg

Edited by sluggo