Airfix 1/24 Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a

Sparzanza

Righto! Updates.

I started ever so slightly with the painting of the pilot. He had lots of flash to sand down, and the fit of his halves were bad.. so had to use filler. Urf. Cockpit walls and their details has recieved a coat of Humbrol 78 (RAF cockpit green), given a wash (Humbrol 33 + a lot of lacknafta), and I've used artistic license to paint various levers and odd-looking contraptions found all around the cockpit. I then proceeded to drybrush some Humbrol 11 at various places where I figured the wear would appear. Artistic license has been used on the engine as well since I can't tell what's pipes and what's cables, and had no luck Googling pictures of it. so meh. The oxygen tanks still need a little detail painting, and the exhausts needs a wash.. but in the meantime, here's some pictures:

DSC00169_zps126f69ce.jpg

DSC00170_zpse97a5db8.jpg

DSC00171_zpsd2e8bfd6.jpg

DSC00172_zps10e7a1fa.jpg

DSC00173_zpsa760d1d5.jpg

DSC00174_zps08af6474.jpg

Tackar ödmjukast, Håkan! :)

I've now given the exhausts a dark wash, but I wasn't pleased with how they turned out. So I dug through some of my reference pictures and found one showing that the exhausts had gone white in places. I figured it'd be a nice challenge trying to achieve that on mine! Except it wasn't. A little drybrushing with Humbrol 34 and that's it. Oh well. The pictures don't do it justice; it looks a lot better in person. I also added a coat of Humbrol 35 gloss clear to the yellow tube thing in the cockpit, it just looked as though it was a glossy thing to me... and I finished painting the oxygen tanks. I've also painted the engine compartment + firewall with two coats of Humbrol 78 (takes ages to dry for some reason, same with Humbrol 113 for the exhausts), and I'm in the process of some detail painting of the firewall. When that's done I will tuck the engine in place first, since that'll be the absolute hardest part due to me gluing the exhausts on before joining the fuselage halves... and they don't really fit through the thingie. Pictures:

sample_zpsbb1aa19a.jpg

DSC00181_zpsa1fb583d.jpg

DSC00182_zps59229ce7.jpg

DSC00175_zpsb882be96.jpg

DSC00176_zps97709071.jpg

DSC00177_zps8e6b233f.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Sparz

Super work on the exhausts; they sure are looking good. Nice work on the IP, as it's always the centerpiece of the front ofcie.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thank you gentlemen! :D Here's some more updates.

I wasn't very hopeful about fitting the engine in place since the exhausts were glued on before the fuselage halves were joined.. and they don't fit too well through the engine framing if squeezed in backwards. But after a little muscle and violence they simply clicked into place. ---> o_O my reaction.

It sits so nicely in fact that I can't get it out again ... haha. I also did some detail painting on the pilot, including adding a moustache. It's a must for every Spitfire pilot. Hah!

DSC00184_zps3b636204.jpg

DSC00185_zps46d0e136.jpg

DSC00183_zpsbdd8e539.jpg

The fuselage halves went together with no drama whatsoever. In fact, the back of the fuselage didn't even need any filler! Although there was an edge between them instead, albeit very minor, that I sanded down with coarse and then medium grit sandpaper. After a few touchups I will run it over with a fine grit. I also learned that the panel lines sanded away can be rescribed with a needle, which is what I intend to do afterwards. I can't get the rivets back though... :(

The front of the fuselage didn't fit as well as the back, but nothing a little filler can't fix after running it over with some coarse grit sandpaper. I'm curious though.. that hole in front of the canopy, right behind the engine cowling .. isn't that supposed to have a, like.. cork? Because I can't fill or sand the gap in there. I'd like to fill it all together but yeah. I'd appreciate any replies regarding this matter. :) Here's some pictures:

DSC00189_zps7d87215c.jpg

DSC00191_zpsa5ccbcea.jpg

DSC00193_zps0a343ab7.jpg

DSC00190_zps140f3496.jpg

DSC00192_zpsfc42d3b3.jpg

Tackar HÃ¥kan. :)

After sanding the filler smooth, and finishing sanding the rest of the fuselage, I used Humbrol 140 (medium grey) as a kind of primer to determine whether there were any additional seams or irregularities to sort out. It seems like I did a good job on the first go as I can't find anything to improve, other than somehow finding a fuel tank cap. I also did a test fit of the main engine cowling and it fit rather snugly. Good, good.

I'm about to start working on the wings. Pics:

DSC00194_zps8f8282b4.jpg

DSC00195_zps0eb675ad.jpg

DSC00196_zps1aa5a13a.jpg

DSC00197_zps326320cb.jpg

DSC00198_zps2c7bb994.jpg

I've glued the ammo hatches in place underneath the wings now as well, and started working on the landing gear. I took some pictures to compare an untreated gear with a treated one. This kit is riddled with flash, it's on every-single-piece. I'm not joking. My fingers got tired eventually and I need a break now ...

DSC00199_zpse6e23fd3.jpg

DSC00200_zpsd178468d.jpg

DSC00201_zps959fe07c.jpg