1/32 Trumpeter F-117 yet another stealth build

Palm-tree

IMAGE_678.jpg

Thanks Tom!

So a little more work, this time on the DLIR- downward looking Infra Red.

I used the kit clear part H4 as a template to produce the fine mesh screen using Hasegawa Trypart Mesh 41. This stuff is wafer thin and incredibly strong. I then superglued it to the locating recess on the inside, and carefully sprayed it black.

IMAGE_679.jpg

Here it is in close-up.

Next, the same treatment for the FLIR port beneath the canopy.

Edited by Palm-tree

IMAGE_686.jpg

the top fuselage/wings moulding receives this finish also making sure that the engine intakes and blow-in doors all receive the same treatment.

I read on another build somewhere some advice to leave the protective pitot moulding attached for as long as possible. This is really good advice as I would have snagged or knocked them off several times by now.

Edited by Palm-tree

I read on another build somewhere some advice to leave the protective pitot moulding attached for as long as possible. This is really good advice as I would have snagged or knocked them off several times by now.

I noticed that you'd done that, and I think it's a fantastic idea!

Kev

IMAGE_699.jpg

Thanks Kev, yes a lot of thought has gone into the r&d of this kit but there are a few peculiar anomalies, none of them major, but more of this later.

Here is the structure seen from underneath and with the internals visible. There is a lot of detail here which sadly will disappear once the top and bottom pieces are glued together. The engine compartment lends itself to opening up the engine inspection panels underneath as part of an engine change diorama perhaps?- but not for me.

The platypus exhausts having been sprayed earlier in Tamiya grey primer have now been airbrushed in Alclad pale burnt metal, which has a very slight gold hue to it, replicating the titanium exhaust very convincingly.

The engines themselves I sprayed in MrColor Stainless and the jet pipe in MrColor Burnt Iron.

IMAGE_698.jpg

Here is the FLIR turret.

The internal glass lens is a precision moulding, along with its tiny laser designator port, and push fits into the outer housing-previously sprayed in black.

There is a small pointer in the lower left of the turret. I am not sure what the function of this is (ground calibration of the sight perhaps?). The colour of this appears as a dull orange in some photographs and of gray or black in other colour pictures I have seen. The jury is still out on this for now until I uncover some more info and research on this. Could it be that it has a colour cover for peacetime-training missions and black for combat?

Answers on a postcard please!

Edited by Palm-tree

IMAGE_709.jpg

After a coat of black paint on the upper surface, it is time to paint the small areas above the engines which seem to be "titanium" air inlet doors? They do not have RAM on them in any case.

IMAGE_710.jpg

Carefully masked with Tamiya tape.

IMAGE_712.jpg

Airbrushed with Model Master Gun Metal. This stuff is great and can be airbrushed right out of the jar without thinning required.

IMAGE_713.jpg

Masking tape is removed and voila!

IMAGE_697.jpg

However, later scrutiny of the raised detail on the upper fuselage reveals these stange double diamonds.

They do not appear visible on any photographs of the aircraft which I have seen, so maybe they will have to be removed by careful sanding...

Edited by Palm-tree

IMAGE_684.jpg

Front of the jet with the FLIR port fitted with the Hasegawa etched screen .

This was superglued onto the exterior with a very small overlap and the glue was applied with a cocktail stick before appliying the framing pieces, parts F5, F16, and F18.

Now where have I heard those numbers somewhere before?

The screen was carefully airbrushed in black and seems to replicate the look of the FLIR ad far as I am able in this scale.

I am still undecided as to whether to display the FLIR in the live position with the lens looking forward or in the more commonly seen stowed position.

I guess this will depend on being able to acquire a sheet of that thin adhesive anti-laser coating that the AFV guys use, and in the correct colour?

The cockpit has the Eduard etched parts attached and is dry fitted into the cockpit recess along with the HUD at this stage.

Still thinking about the Aires set, but not sure if I want to hack away at those pristine canopy side rails and the instrument coaming?

Edited by Palm-tree

I had the same dilemma re: the Aires set. Trust me, the ONLY question you'll be left with is why you waited so long to order it!! :) It really is that good. I believe the grey triangular things were either vents or antenna (I do know that the two immediately behind the canopy are antenna). But I don't recall which. Take a peek at one or more of the cut away views as I think their purpose is listed there.

Looking great so far!!

Hi Brian, thanks for the info.

Just a small update today, showing a side view with the intake grilles in position and the ACES II painted black and in the cockpit.

I am intending to portray the aircraft in a combat ready configuration, with all aerials retracted.

In the pilot's notes it mentions the anti-collision lights in the checklists with a response being "as-fitted".

Does anyone know if the upper and/ or lower red anti collision beacon would be removed before flight for combat?

Was only the lower light fitted in these situations or was it also removed?

Thanks if any kind person, can answer my questions and not break the official secrets act!

Just wondering.

Hi Dave,

The limited footage I've seen seems to show the wingtip nav lights as present - even during combat.  In particular, they appear to have been utilized when refueling at night.  I can't say as to whether or not both upper and lower surfaces were illuminated or not however.  I would expect that during ingress and egress to and from the active combat zone, that the lights would most likely be turned off.  I haven't seen or heard anything about them being 'removable' as such.  I would hazard a guess that they were likely treated in such a manner that they would appear as a singular surface to radar with the planform of the wing.  Though I could very well be incorrect.

I received my new engine faces from Mike at Sierra Hotel last night - and WOWSA!  Such an improvement!  They really fit the part well (even being originally designed for the F/A-18E-G...the engine is almost the same as the 117's), and if you can see the engine faces at all either through the PE grill or the blow in door, these are an absolute must over the kit part.  Stators are much better in scale, and the compressor blades of the fan look excellent as well.  highly recommended!

Speaking of...when you gonna order up that Aires cockpit?!  ;)  Hehehehe  The Eduard set does wonders for the kit tub, but even still, there are numerous quibbles I kept finding as I went along.  A touch of wire and cabling added here and there to the rear bulkhead certainly helps the basic parts along in noticeable ways, but even so, the Aires work is absolutely next level stuff.

Bri~

Hi Bri-

Thanks. Good to hear that you are pleased with your new engine fan faces.

Having looked through the grilles and the blow-in doors they really cannot be seen, but hey neither can the F404's or the jet pipes but I went and painted and added them anyway....

The anti-collision lights ie the red flashing beacons on the upper and lower fuselage are the lights ( parts H5, H6) which I am querying as to their possible removal for combat ops.....as opposed to the wing navigation lights which are ever present.

According to the Walkaround book it states that the wing lights extend and illuminate red/green from the side and front , and white from the rear.

This would make sense in accordance with internationally accepted standards for aircraft navigation/position lights.

I wonder whether they really extend though as that would make them more visible to radar in that case?

Certainly the pilots notes make no reference to extending nav lights.

On this note the Radar Cross Section enhancers parts C33 would not be present on a combat ready machine.

These parts are installed on training or positioning flights, to increase the radar observability. So install these parts if you want a peacetime aircraft.