Tamiya Lancaster

HL-10

I got one second hand as it has been out of production for ages.

I used Belcher Bits resin engine nacels, wheels, 4000lb cookie.

I also used Flight Path's photoetch for the flaps and interior, mostly hidden.

Decals are from Aeromaster for a machine used in daylight opperations,

hence the yellow fins and wing tips.

I repositioned the Wireless Operator's window, too far forward on the kit, and scribed the panel lines.

post-8-1132481704.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

Nicely done Angelo! I like a Lancaster and havea couple in the stash to be built. You've done a great job on this one, it is quite inspirational, and tempts me into starting one of mine... :blink:

Cheers mate,

Jay

Hi eveyone,

glad you like it, thank you for the kind words.

I've managed to jog my memory a bit!

It is a 166 Squadron RAF machine, and the nose blister came from a Falcon set.

Matt, don't worry mate, I really botch some up on a regular basis.

Thanks again,

Angelo :blink:

Hello Angelo

Really good job on the Lanc, building and painting.

If I may ask a question, are going to leave the exhaust stains that way ? Just my opinion, but I find it just a bit too "monochromatic";

I don't discuss shape or telling you went overboard, but I would advocate a little softenning/shading with beige, brown or black, even.

Hope you won't mind that little critic, as i think you did a marvelous job, indeed.

Cheers and thanks for sharing

Stef (#6) :)

Hi Stef,

Thanks for the comments.

I based my exhausts stains on a number of sources, mainly old WWII black and white pictures as the RAF did not use as much colour as the USAAF.

There is a colour film made by the RAF in WWII and some colour pictures are available and it does show that due to the very high lead content of the fuel, that the staining left very heavy deposits of lead oxide.

My "secret weapon" is a good friend who works on a restoration team at Duxford and he did work on their Lancaster. His research also showed that heavy deposits of lead oxide did obscure any other staining.

I appreciaate what you have said and will bear it in mind.

Thanks again,

Angelo

Looks very impressive! Definitely one of the best 1/48 Lancasters I've seen.

My initial thoughts were that the exhaust staining was overdone but if, as you say, the real aircraft looked like this then that's OK! I'll have to remember this when I eventually build my 1/48 Lanc.

I can't afford the extremely high prices the Tamiya Lancaster goes for on eBay (usually £40-60) , but was lucky enough to find a part-built example at a local kit sale for around £15.

Wish Tamiya would reissue it, though! (Then again, the retail price would probably be equal to or higher than what it currently sells for on eBay).