1/32 Mig-17 wing fences

Bruce

the pieces that go along the wing have slits in them and the fences have1/8th inch tabs that match the slits.  If you put the tabs in the slits and try to bend the then the thing will sit off the surface, not to mention that the tabswould probably entend past the wing pieces edge.

Bruce, not haing the set in front of me, Im going to guess that you are supposed to :

A: Mark the location of the existing fences with a scribing tool, trace them into the plastic if they are in the correct position.

A1: Make a layer of thin plastic strip the same height as the wing fence before removing them so that you can set the height on the new parts.

B: Place and secure the new fence flanges on the wing top centering over your scribing marks from the previous step.

C: Use a razor saw or the back side of a blade and score the plastic on the wing top until the new vertical pieces of the fence and  slide them down into a slit or trough and secure. Use layered pieces of plastic laid next to them to keep them a constant height sticking out of the wing top.

Like I said, I don't have the set, but based on our description of the parts, that's what I would do to install them.

Paul

Edited by av8shunmodels

Hi Bruce,

GMA: Grey Matter Aviation (part of Grey Matter Figures). I believe that this might have been one of Vasko Barbic's designs.

http://www.greymatterfigures.com/index.php?p=2&id=100

brass2.jpg

I would more or less use Paul's technique.

It looks like you would need to remove the existing kit wing fences and mark their position to start with.

Use a razor saw to cut slots into the upper wings for the length of the marked lines.

Bend the riveted PE strips to match the curvature of the PE wing fence and slot the fence tabs through the corresponding slots in the strips.

Attach the PE wing fence and strips to the kit wing with super glue.

Clean up the underside of the kit wing upper half (if necessary) once it dried.

HTH

Derek

guys,

thanks for the advice...the parts are the ones pictures above.  the tabs are so deep that if you tried to cut a slot in the wing you'd saw right thru the plastic.  I believe what I'm going to do is cut the existing fences off( leaving the raised portion on the wing), sore the fence  location, cut the tabs off the brass and insert the new fence in the scored slot.

Bruce