It's time.....Nichimo 1/20 Aero Subaru

Cap'n Wannabe

• 2 weeks later...

No pics for the moment, but I've primed and painted the engine Lycoming Grey.  The paint didn't come out so well - it's very glossy, and pulled away from some areas.  Ended up decanting some paint and applying it with a brush.  In other news, my 3D printer arrived on Monday, and after "supervising" my son assembling it, I've started running some test prints, as well as roughing out some baffles for the engine.  I'm not overly impressed with the print quality, but then again, that could simply be a matter of playing around with the settings.  More to follow...

Trust me a Lycoming that has been in a while and has been touched up looks a mess and I mean a mess and it pulls away in real life.... don't forget the blue paint or whatever colour on the fins near the upper spark plug, it is on all of the engines and tells you what it is.. Blue indicates nitrided cylinders, yellow, long reach plugs etc..

I must admit I wouldnt ever let the cylinders rust that bad.. terrible, I repaint mine out of a can like you..BTW it really needs shaking up well or it will be glossy.

Note the cylinders that are rusty on the top image is the barrel. it is steel, the head on the other hand is aluminium.. they are a heated and screwed together fit and come assembled, when running they will never get up to the temps needed to unscrew it.

Colours are not always set in stone, different overhaul companies do different things, I have seen the steel barrels in gloss black, the rocker covers chromed or cadmium plated, the same goes for the induction elbows,  Indeed Lycoming did a range of  engines light powder blue.

Edited by TonyT