P-51D Mustang Antenna sags when canopy is open?

CANicoll

So I'm looking to build the Tamiya P-51D (my second one), but the first did not have the antenna wire, but my second will.  

Here is my question:  There is a spring tensioner on the tail, but does the antenna droop when the canopy is open?  I've found ONE WWII-period picture where it appears that the tail antenna spring is actually looking like it is not tight, it is kind of pointing down as if there is no tension on the antenna wire.

Since the canopy on the Tamiya model is easy to open and close, I'd like to get it right.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Chris

Martin, the pictures are amazing, Mark and Jennings thanks for weighing in as well.  I knew the smart folks here would know the answer!

I don't know why my research could not turn up the great references you posted here but very much appreciated.  I have a bit of a fear that I'll not be able to slide the canopy back to the open position, and still have it sit properly on the cockpit rails (I think the antenna will lift the canopy as I'm planning on using EZ Wire - but I'll address that when I get to it I think.  Roller in the canopy. Mmmmm.

Amazing stuff and I really do appreciate the help.

Chris

Guest Clunkmeister

Martin is the resident LSP research guru.

His information comes from his many years of espionage activities for the Kremlin, and his Uncle Vlad gives him free reign of the archives there...

And we thought all the Cold War years were wasted...

Edited by Clunkmeister

Martin is the resident LSP research guru.

His information comes from his many yeRs of espionage activities for the Kremlin, and his Uncle Vlad gives him free reign of the archives there...

And we thought all the Cold War years were wasted...

F3ign.gif

Yeah. That's actually a skin from a pc game. But it describes the layout clearly

Actually, I did notice that it was not an actual photograph, but I've seen a number of these skins and the amount of research that goes into these things is amazing.  I have a few cockpit skins I keep for reference as well for the same reason.  Good stuff!

CN