Finished: Verlinden 1/32 Luftwaffe Power Supply Cart

Roy vd M.

11261673646_22938afce1_c.jpg

As there is no build review / WiP available of this little kit (anywhere on the web, as far as I can see), I thought it nice to start this not-so-long thread. 

I'm no experienced modeller, having only finished one kit: 1/32 Trumpeter Bf109. That was a 'practice kit' for a much larger project: the 1/32 Revell Heinkel He 111. As I am a bit stalled concerning that project (in February I will fly over to London to photograph and document all external rivets on the real thing and until then I can't really get forward with the fuselage interior) I decided to tackle this Verlinden as a fun in-between-job. I will describe as detailed as possible what I did, where I did good and where I failed, so that this can be seen as a build review from a beginner's point of view. Hopefully other beginners can thus learn from my mistakes as well as my (lucky / educated) more enlightened moments. 

I'm aware that all of this may be boring for those many of you guys who know all of this... good idea to just skip till the next page (when finished) :)

This is my first encounter with resin and I like the material and feel. 

The kit consists of the following parts (undercarriage already cut loose):

11261304516_42291b5a51_c.jpg

First I cut off the undercarriage from its sprue. I filed and sanded to make as perfect a tubular form to the back-right long rod as I could. Then going on with all the other rods. 

11261269525_35f5fc28c3_c.jpg

There is extremely little space between that back-right rod and its neighboring twin. So I had to cut that flash with a knife and then I just used sanding paper 320. Also here try to sand as 'making tubular'-y as possible. 

11261312434_29b36cebd6_c.jpg

One half done:

11261310196_563c4e6512_c.jpg

Then suddenly... just before I was finished... snap! the right inner rod broke off (front end). So tip: be very careful! A drop of superglue: back on track. 

The undercarriage was rather warped:

11261365623_6f11a90b31_c.jpg

Here's the almost ready undercarriage:

11261326806_e79001ef6e_c.jpg

Edited by Roy vd M.

Having been warned upfront for the toxic qualities of the resin dust I used a dust mask all the time when cutting, filing and sanding.

Next picture: the wheels before and after. To me it looked more challenging than it actually turned out to be. I had to keep in mind to file and check... file and check... each time. Upon approaching the end form I used the rule file, sand and check... file, sand and check... so the wheel would stay round. And it worked better than I would have thought. 

11261384873_35f143ccb7_c.jpg

Here are all the parts with all flash and other resin residue removed. The most annoying mistake I made was to try to cut the spring suspension part from the resin block by using a knife. I had noticed there was a pre-cut line. My first pre-cut line cut was ok. Second and last... snap! (again) The suspension end broke off. Unlike the first, this was no quick fix! First I had to check out what side of the broken off piece belonged to the remainder of the suspension and in what position it used to be. Then the superglue connection... not easy. This cost me about 20 minutes to fix. The second suspension part I cut out by using a mini saw (RB Productions). From that moment on I used the saw on almost every part.

11261345536_190c36cd6b_c.jpg

Washing everything in warm water and soap:

11261391483_348652d0a6_c.jpg

After brushing each part with an old toothbrush I rinsed them with cold water:

11261665076_a31c116868_c.jpg

And (very) soon I realized that I should have done the washing and rinsing earlier when the parts were still on their sprues. Didn't matter how very, very careful I was, I was almost surely going to lose one or more of the smaller parts. And indeed I did. Fortunately it was the most easily reproducible one: one of the smaller rods. Although I had some sort of theory why I should take them off first and THEN give them a bath, I won't do that ever again (or maybe if only larger parts are involved). 

11261726733_a8a77a8c19_c.jpg

Last job of today was to correct the undercarriage warping. I filled a bowl with hot water, put the part in it for 5 minutes and then bent it. It looked like this:

11261735783_d54cd8cdd8_c.jpg

So I was happy. Then I started typing this post. 10 minutes later the undercarriage was deformed again so I repeated the bending process. And again. And yet again. Now after the 6th time it seems to be setting okay. 

Next step will be to glue the cart together and make a replacement rod. 

Does anyone know the correct colour for a cart like this? Box example looks very nice, if someone can inform me of that colour I'd be delighted. 

Edited by Roy vd M.

You have two options XF-60 German Dark Yellow or German Grey XF-63 as the base colors

Tamiya  has a good painting diagram in the 1/48th kit#89768 for the details

http://www.model-making.eu/products/German-Aircraft-Power-Supply-Unit-with-Luftwaffe-Crew.html

Instructions above link

http://www.luftwaffeairfieldre-enactmentgroup.org.uk/Uniforms___Equipment/DispersalEqpt/dispersaleqpt.html

http://forum.maketar.com/showthread.php?p=5055  a little way down good photo 

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Thanks Marus!

Today I glued together the undercarriage + springs + wheels. The generator has two supporting beams. The kit's instructions are very unclear as to where those beams should be put. Eventually with the help of some other pics (thanks again Vandy) I found the right spot. The hand grips at the front I placed slightly more to the front, in line with the 1:1 cart.

11278306086_14bd08569d_c.jpg

The supporting beams are depicted on the following photograph. On that picture also my happy Vallejo putty project. I decided to fill the resin holes, although they can't be seen unless you pick the thing from the diorama. Not a lot of work and you never know if in the future one will regret not having done it. 

11278319546_dcb1dfbf82_c.jpg

Safe-kept all day, at one point and unexplainedly one of the other small rods which I had put to dry, was gone. Probably a gust of wind that had entered the house upon opening the balcony door. So another mistake/tip for the colleague beginner: put those tiny items in a box rather than on a smooth towel. 

I have an unused F104 Starfighter ('Ferrari') Revell kit that I sometimes use to test things on. One of the tubular parts was exactly as thick as the rod I lost yesterday. Furthermore, a sprue piece was cut and sanded until it was about as thick as the rod I lost today. After attaching that part I filed it a bit more to make it a good twin to the original part. 

11278323706_b956aea71f_c.jpg

11278357504_7c94bd427a_c.jpg

11278361434_3134801e36_c.jpg

11278341516_5cacf16a24_c.jpg

To bend the copper wire for the coupling I used the back end of my knife grip:

11278373484_dde13098a1_c.jpg

11278307955_a635e98634_c.jpg

And finally for today, the cart stands:

11278312395_ae477f19be_c.jpg

11278316445_0b653a6cc0_c.jpg

After a couple of hours left to dry and then trying to sand off, the putty looked like this:

11278443903_415fe6c088_c.jpg

I'll try milliput next.
Edited by Roy vd M.

Oh yes, this morning I saw that the undercarriage had deformed again. Couple of more bending tries... no succes.. one try with the hairdryer and that did the trick. So I'll stick with the hairdryer method. 

Edited by Roy vd M.

Milliput regular:

11299186903_cd08efe931_c.jpg

On with the handles. First tried to bend the copper wire by using pliers.

11299148984_4101b9902b_c.jpg

Then by using photo etch bender. That worked a lot better.

11299113656_324e9df2ff_c.jpg

Pre-made holes had to be widened a bit. I did this by rotating the hobby knife in it.

11299154414_48a1d95655_c.jpg

The handles before cutting:

11299128396_dcdc5fe9f4_c.jpg

Fitted:

11299167094_2103997eb4_c.jpg

Glueing the handles... and ready!

11299171154_d469818b7f_c.jpg

Looking once more... grr! Worked too fast. Breaking the handles off again and fitting them right this time. 

11299115475_a4a0b75cce_c.jpg

The model now consists of 3 parts, the middle one being seen in the picture under "fitted". If I glued everything together now then painting and weathering would be a disaster. 

First now I'll make a little generator handle (no idea why Verlinden didn't include one in the kit... I think it's an important and very visible part. 

Then I'll see if I can find something else to add. If not... priming! 

Went to the local hobby shop and purchased a bunch of rods in several sizes. Lever was made with a small piece of one of those. The tiny ball on top was made out of milliput.

11327226163_7561b37ffb_c.jpg

The on to the priming business. I used Vallejo Surface Primer (73.601) directly into the airbrush (Evolution) and that worked perfectly. No more mixing revell primer for me.

11327230003_b4e440d227_c.jpg

I intend to apply a 'rust-eaten' effect to the left side of the inner part of the central rod. 

Looking great, Roy!

I don't find this build to be boring, at all. In fact, it's right up my alley and I'm glad you've decided to post your progress. I have future plans for a Fw 190 display that will need this cart, so I am very interested. However, the one I want to do is the version with spoked wheels, but this is still very informative. You seem to have been able to improvise and overcome, as well. I think anybody who has built anything from scratch did it out of necessity, first. It all starts there, I think.

Great work!

John

Thanks John for your nice words.

Does anyone have any idea how long a standard electricity cable used by a generator cart like this used to be? 

I know, it's a bit of a niche question.

Edited by Roy vd M.