Hellcat update

Astro32

Me three, Ross - as I mentioned in Chris's build, I have had this kit for a long time and I keep staring at the box, saying to myself, "It's not going to build itself, you know...".

Seriously, you have given me a great look at some A-M alternatives, and some detail options too. Looking forward to much more.

Jimbo

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody

I'm still too busy to do any building! :angry: On top of what's on my plate I've found out that my company is relocating over the winter! :o My time available is going to be difficult, if not impossible, for my poor wee Hellcat! To salt the wound, I just found out on Stevens Int'l that Trumpeter is coming out with F6F-3 & -5s! I don't think that'll stop me, but then again I trashcanned my Hase 262 once the Trumpy kit came out! :blink:

As much as anything, I wanted to let you all know I'm still around! :o

Regards,

Ross

• 2 months later...

*BUMP* :lol: :huh:

Just to let y'all know, I'm standing by until the Trumpeter kit shows up. If it's a winner, I'll just be duplicating details that'll be undoubtedly better than what I can do! Besides, that tow tractor may be worth the price of admission in and of itself..... :lol:

• 2 years later...

Major, MAJOR bump! :speak_cool:

After getting the Tigercat nearly ready for paint, now that it's too cold to do so, I'd been thinking about my old Hellcat build, so I pulled it out. This will be a winter office project! In looking at this one, I've been reflecting on all the changes in my life since Dec. '06; some good, most not so good unfortunately, but that's life.

Today I tackled all the heavily raised panel details on both sides of the wings. It required some brutish tactics; 120 grit alu. oxide glued to a stir stick! It's all smoothed off now, and ready for finish sanding & rescribing as needed. No pics today. I'll take some when there's more visible progress.

As per my previous thoughts about markings, I still want to do a post-war 'Cat, N.A.S. Pt. Mugu, either a drone or drone controller. These machines were unarmed, and had the gun ports faired over with alu. sheet. Were the shell ejector ports covered over similarly, or did Maintenance make a whole new panel?

Wish me luck folks! Seems like every time I start or re-start a project, disaster ensues! :oops:

What I could really use from my friends here are good photos of the 'pit, gear wells, and flaps. My basic 'pit is in the rough and so far so good, but I'm sure could use some some refining. Post pics or links when there's a chance please! I'm doing a -5K.

Thanks in advance!

maybe some photograph of the pieces could help you...?

Thanks Alberto! I have the Verlinden set which I'm bashing with the Eduard photoetch sets. 'Pit floor is too shallow, but it's not bad.

Last night I got more done on the wing; pics later on what I got done.

And yes, disaster did hit. I've been using a leather punch for the last four years or so to punch out small discs of plastic, or aluminum duct tape. Last night the pot-metal turret wheel, which had crystallized since I last used it, shattered when I tried to punch out a piece of duct tape. In the process the handle pinched down on my index finger quite violently, and now I have a savage wound that refused to stop bleeding for about three hours. It's healing now though. Even in this relatively benign hobby, the ability to get serious wounds is quite real! :)

Anyway, pics later today!

Ouch!! I can imagine the picture!

I always bear in mind that this hobby has its risk! I pay attention specially to my eyes.

Regarding the Hase Hellcat, I think it is a good kit, very poorly designed at cockpit and wheel wells, BUT the surface detail is, to me, real with all those rivets. I don't like the trumpy kit for what I have seen in that area, though it is good in others.

Check out Cybermodeler, go to "airplanes" and look for Hellcat, there are some pics there...

take care!

regards

Today's pic shows the new paneling on the port wing. I used aluminum duct tape for these. A bit more accurate than what the kit had! I'll reduce the difference between the wing & the panels by masking them off & applying a few coats of high-build primer.

post-1317-1260491948.jpg

I'm in a bit of a quandary here. The area of the lower fuselage with the two small 'x's I've marked is slightly proud of the lower fuselage, as molded by Hase, but on the full-size article it's flush with the panels forward and to the lower cooling doors. Should I cut this area out, and reattach it so it's flush, or? :unsure: It's enough to be really noticeable as-is.

post-1317-1260641656.jpg

The area of the lower fuselage with the two small 'x's I've marked is slightly proud of the lower fuselage.

I'll cut that out & reposition.

I've decided to remove the aluminum duct tape ammo doors & other small details; they're too thick. I'll re-do them out of kitchen foil.

No pics yet today. Just little things I'm doing! :P

Most of the wing is now really close to where I want it. A few more items to do and it's ready for primer.

post-1317-1261018216.jpg

Blanked off gun ports. I'll be doing a postwar -5K.

post-1317-1261018231.jpg

Access panels for the landing gear. Probably up & down lock adjustment.

I was considering the S.A.C. metal landing gear, but after a look at them, they don't seem to be significantly better than the kit-supplied pieces, and they're definitely not accurate! Does anybody have a good pic of a Hellcat's gear? I looked around the 'Net But I didn't find any good references.

Also, I seem to remember recently somebody offered a postwar decal sheet, including a -5K in the options. I'll search the Forums for that.

Otherwise, so far so good! Feels great to be working on this old project, and I've snuck it into the office for a little build time while it's slow! :speak_cool: