Airacobra Mk I - radiostation and visible devices

Hello,

I'm solving problem regarding radiostation used in Airacobras Mk I. If my source is correct, this picture shows IP of Airacobra I.

There are visible parts of SCR-283 radiostation on central column of IP.

According to Erection and maintanance manual this radiostation used wire antena between vertical stabiliser and cabin, which is contrary to wire antenas used on Airacobra Mk I (between horizontal stabiliser and the fuselage).

SCR-283:

SCR283

The only radiostation using antenas between horizontal stabiliser and the fuselage was SCR522

SCR-522:

SCR522

So where is the true? Which radiostation was used in Airacobra Mk I (except AH 577). And what I'm interesting on the most - what device (probably microphone preamplifier) was placed in the right side of the aft cabin deck?

Thanks for any ideas argument and evidence.

J.H.

interesting pics

This is all I have..

first from the parts manual there are drawings for the P400 fit but none of the sub drawings seem to be there

heZLFZ.jpg

xouKiU.jpg

the key to the drawing above may help

s2S8PF.jpg

I also have these two cropped images from an RAF fit drawing, but I cannot now find the original..

FFz8ge.jpg

99oqu3.jpg

and then these are definately RAF Airacobra 1 as they are from the RAF pilots notes - you may see something there that helps..

t0X74O.jpg

c7oKYT.jpg

r9PQ5U.jpg

kvvWGF.jpg

V6yphj.jpg

BCaE7z.jpg

Hope that helps

Peter

Thanks a lot for shared pics which most of them I've never seen. But I can see a couple of discrepancies there.

1) wire antena between vertical stabilizer and top of the fuselage turnover beam (on drawing of P-400 above) / wire antenas between horizontal stabilizer and the fuselage (on pics of Airacobras Mk I of 601 Sqn.)

2) The antenna mast on the top of turnover fuselage beam (on pic above) / The antenna mast on the top surface of the aft fuselage at Station No. 288 1/2.

3) The map pocket on the right cabin door (on pic above) / flat inner area of the right door (on AH601 pic)

My idea: Above pics for RAF pilot notes were taken sooner (maybe AH573 or AH701 or others tested and examined by British A&AEE) and there were couple of differences on the real  operationaly used Mk I. Maybe there is somewhere description what modifications had British mechanics had to do before operational using.

Edited by johnie hopper