F-4EJ help needed

gregh

Thanks for everyone's reply's. After weighing all my options, I decided to go with the Turkish 70 years NATO scheme over a Japan one. I figure I'll spend less money ordering a tamiya EJ kit than all the extra things needed to convert the Revell kit. 

I've ordered a legend cockpit, gt belly strap, gt nose and the phantom phreaks decals. That will at least get me off to a good start. 

Cheers!

PS, since I already have brassin seats I plan to use, the seats from the legend set are up for grabs whenever they arrive if someone wants them. happy to donate to the cause as I doubt I'll build another big phantom.

Edited by gregh

53 minutes ago, gregh said:

Thanks for everyone's reply's. After weighing all my options, I decided to go with the Turkish 70 years NATO scheme over a Japan one. I figure I'll spend less money ordering a tamiya EJ kit than all the extra things needed to convert the Revell kit. 

I've ordered a legend cockpit, gt belly strap, gt nose and the phantom phreaks decals. That will at least get me off to a good start. 

Cheers!

PS, since I already have brassin seats I plan to use, the seats from the legend set are up for grabs whenever they arrive if someone wants them. happy to donate to the cause as I doubt I'll build another big phantom.

That’s a nice scheme, but going to the Tamiya kit provides its own challenges.  The major issue is that the Tamiya F-4E kit has the non-slatted wing, while the Turkish F-4E has a slatted wing, so you’d need a slatted wing conversion for the Tamiya kit.  You wouldn’t need the GT nose, since that’s for correcting the out of shape Revell nose.  Also, you wouldn’t need the belly strap, since the Turkish aircraft is 77-0288, which means it was built with the slatted wing from the factory and was internally reinforced.  Regarding the Legends cockpit, isn’t that for the Revell kit?  Not sure they did one for Tamiya, and not sure how well a pit for Revell would fit in the Tamiya kit.

To be honest, for doing the Turkish F-4E, you may be better off sticking with Revell.

If you do decide to go Tamiya, I wouldn’t waste time looking for the -EJ kit.  The -E kit easier to find, and the only thing that the -EJ gives you over the -E for what you want to do is LAU-7 rails and AIM-9L/M sidewinders.  You can get the rails and Sidewinders via aftermarket.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

That’s a nice scheme, but going to the Tamiya kit provides its own challenges.  The major issue is that the Tamiya F-4E kit has the non-slatted wing, while the Turkish F-4E has a slatted wing, so you’d need a slatted wing conversion for the Tamiya kit.  You wouldn’t need the GT nose, since that’s for correcting the out of shape Revell nose.  Also, you wouldn’t need the belly strap, since the Turkish aircraft is 77-0288, which means it was built with the slatted wing from the factory and was internally reinforced.  Regarding the Legends cockpit, isn’t that for the Revell kit?  Not sure they did one for Tamiya, and not sure how well a pit for Revell would fit in the Tamiya kit.

To be honest, for doing the Turkish F-4E, you may be better off sticking with Revell.

If you do decide to go Tamiya, I wouldn’t waste time looking for the -EJ kit.  The -E kit easier to find, and the only thing that the -EJ gives you over the -E for what you want to do is LAU-7 rails and AIM-9L/M sidewinders.  You can get the rails and Sidewinders via aftermarket.

Hey Dave, I think some wires got crossed on our discussion. I'm starting with the Revell kit already, as I inherited it from my dads collection when he passed. Converting it to an EJ kai, as was my initial plan, seems more trouble than its worth, so if I decide to do an EJ in the future, I'll just get a tam kit. I decided on the Turkish F-4E because the Revell kit has slatted wings and the other E specific parts in the box like you mentioned. Plus its a beauty of a scheme. I ended up on the legend set because none of the 3D printed sets included sidewalls. 

I appreciate all your help regardless. Cheers!

41 minutes ago, alain11 said:

concerning the Turkish F 4 E I think that their versions are an improvement of the basic E with  new IP . the late version is called " Terminator " isn't it

photo from " printerest 

dac874dcc732ca8d0eabca1ea1e3cd33.png

Upgraded in Israel up to Kurnass 2000 standard