Sparkit Models MB H5 Seats (Early Phantoms) *edited with improved images

allthumbs

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 3:50 AM, Biggles87 said:

One of my future projects will be Robin Olds’ F4C and now I have a choice of early or late MB H5 seats from Sparkit. One of the  main visual difference seems to be the height of the back pad but I can’t find any photos of Old’ machine that show far enough down the seats to determine which ones were used. Can anyone help please?

John

Hi John,

For one thing, both the early and late H5 offerings from Sparkit are USN/USMC style seats. So there are other differences to sort out like the emergency oxygen bottle’s relocation and (possibly) belts and harnesses.

I know this doesn’t answer your question. I would have expected USAF options by now from Sparkit, just as they make available in their H7 line up.

If it were me, I’d go with the late H5, remove the circular O2 supply view port and the activation loop, then cover the left rear section (where the USAF O2 bottle was situated) with a red safety pin storage bag. These were omnipresent in parked jets and could often be found resting atop the survival kit (see second photo of this thread). Apparently, both USN and USAF H5 seats had the hose disconnect bundle located in the same place, so that can stay.

SqzYRK4.jpeg

Good luck!

Rich

Edited by allthumbs
Recommendation changed from “early” to “late” seat.

Those really are the bees knees, about the best I've ever seen. Ejection seats make a large impact in the construction of a jet [ very visible]. Now all we need is a quality Phantom kit to match these. IMHO the old Tamiya toombs aren't quite good enough anymore [ not too bad but definitely dated]

Thanks @allthumbs that’s very helpful, I’d assumed that it was probably the late version with the lower sback pad. I have emailed Sparkit for advice as suggested by @norbert and I’m waiting for a reply, so we’ll see. As you say it’s surprising that they haven’t produced a USAF specific version.

Thanks again.

John

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Thanks @allthumbs that’s very helpful, I’d assumed that it was probably the late version with the lower sback pad. I have emailed Sparkit for advice as suggested by @norbert and I’m waiting for a reply, so we’ll see. As you say it’s surprising that they haven’t produced a USAF specific version.

Thanks again.

John

To be honest, I’m not at all certain about the early vs late H5, and its applicability to the F-4C. I based my “late” assumption on the pictures of the real seat shown on the first post of this thread, which appears to be an Air Force version with back cushions that match Sparkit’s “late” USN offering (BuNo 153005 and subsequent).

But when these aircraft (late production F-4B’s) were rolled out, F-4C production had already ended! So, perhaps, Charlie models were delivered with the USAF equivalent of the “early” H5. I can’t be sure.

Let us know what Sparkit has to say about it.

Rich

Edited by allthumbs