A Spanish Adventure - Around the world in Microsoft FS2020

ChuckD

2 hours ago, themongoose said:

I’m getting caught up again! You’re really sucking me into this world. So earlier you mentioned “notice the asymmetric power settings.” when leaving africa and having to do that diversion in the wind. I don’t know what I’m looking at on the IP. Can you give me a pointer? Definitely interesting!

Specifically, the highlighted section here:

1OANzoZ.png

Basically, you use different power settings to help with additional control around the vertical/yaw axis.

On the left is the RPM gauge which shows how fast the propeller is turning and on the right is the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) gauge which essentially indicates engine power output.  Each gauge has 2 needles - one for each engine and marked "L" and "R" respectively.  In the scenario above, there was a stiff crosswind from the left that exceeded the maximum crosswind abilities of the Beech 18's controls, meaning that with controls alone, the aircraft would be unable to maintain directional control. 

Somewhere buried in one of the a/c manuals I'd read, it discussed the use of differential power to maintain directional control in a heavy crosswind.  So, I tried that here.  The wind struck the tail and fuselage from the left, weathervaning the tail to the right and forcing the nose left.  To counteract this, I reduced power on the right engine while giving the left full power.  This difference in power resulted in a nose-right tendency which, combined with heavy rudder use, was enough to maintain (roughly) centerline until we achieved flying speed.

It was essentially the same on that windy approach into that Spanish province in north Africa.  That wasn't a pretty landing, but any landing you can walk away from is a good one.  :)