Trumpeter 1/24 A6M2-N Rufe

Jester

Hi Gang,

I am thinking about building this bird. I know there are some issues with the outline of the kit. I have the correction notes from J aircraft.com; but I am a little confused on one of the measurements. What are your opinions on the outline problems... build the kit with the corrections or without.

Best Regards

Gary

I'm building one currently. I've seen an article on correcting the sahe of the kit and frankly, i could care less about the outline problems. It looks like a rufe to me and builds up beautifully. I'd say build it, no ones gonna know its 2 milimeters too deep in the fuselage (Etc) unless its being compared to plans.

-mike

Hi Gang,

I did some chatting with Mr Greg Springer about the Trumpeter 1/24 A6M fix. I made all the cuts as per his research but instead of 33mm on the vertical cut, there is a mistake in the drawing and the vertical cut should be 23mm. Everything else went like clock work! See the photos

post-2-1142308528_thumb.jpg

I was trying to attach another photo and I could not get them all to fit in one e-mail... Any tips on how to do this? Here is anothe photo showing the canopy... The model now does not have this step on the sill... I think it is well worth the extra time. This will be a long term project for me so, more photos will be coming in slow...

Best Regards

Gary in Fla

Here is another photo of the canopy.... IMHO it looks much better without the step. Does anyone have any drawing of the rivet patterns of the A6M2? All of my drawings have the wing in the way..

Guest canuck63

Hi Gary,

Trumpeter went the extra mile and corrected (re-tooled) a 1/32 kit or two which was(were)wrong in shape....I wonder why they haven't done the same with the Zero and the Rufe.....I haven't bought any of them because I didn't want to cut/fill/"rivet" a kit that oughta been nice and correct in the first place :angry: !

Hope they're reading this forum :) !

Manny

The link worked fine - thanks. It's pretty fascinating, I definitely want to see a profile shot of the fusalage when you have the cowl in place. I wonder how they got the shape so tweaked when there is plenty of accurate documetation available.

Thanks for the info... It is another take on the kit. I missed this one! Well, it seems that this kit is not all that bad. I dont mind the extra work involved; this is my long term project. Of course I will keep everyone posted.

Regards

Gary

• 3 years later...

I stumbled upon your question yesterday. I’m putting the finishing touches on my Rufe right now, but it’s straight OOB, so I cant attest to major modifications being required, as I can’t do them anyway. Three things I think are worth mentioning however; wing tips do not fold on the Rufe, direction finding antenna and headrest behind pilot seat were not a feature on the –N, and Trumpeter really missed the very prominent bulge on the chin scoop under engine cowling, making it way too flat. Darn shame really, as this is part of what gives the A6M2 its character in my opinion. My project can be found here, http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...mp;#entry210967. Roughly two weeks from now this has to be finished, as I’ll be attending our annual invitational for the first time in ten years as a competitor.

Kevin