Revell 1/48 B-24D

Jack234

Hey guys, I want to make a model of B-24D “Superman” made famous by the book and movie Unbroken. I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what type of belly turret it used (the Bendix or Sperry ball turret). Much thanks!

PS-the variant of the plane was B-24D-13-CO

Edited by Jack234

Hi Jack,

This photo of Superman shows neither the Sperry power turret, or the ball turret, under the aircraft but the small, rectangular windows on the lower rear fuselage, just below the camo demarcation line, are the tunnel gun windows:

https://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=21660

My understanding is a large majority of Pacific B-24s didn't carry a ball turret, and instead had the "tunnel gun," as seen in the following image:

https://worldwar2database.com/gallery/wwii0005

That being said, the tunnel gun had very poor field of fire, as the photo article notes. Both the tunnel gun and Sperry power turret created huge nausea issues for the gunners and were deleted. Due to the added weight of the turrets and the range requirements of the B-24s in the Pacific, the lower gun emplacements were typically deleted altogether. 

I hope this helps.

-Daniel S.

Arvada, CO

On 4/16/2021 at 6:57 PM, Avenger2614 said:

Hi Jack,

This photo of Superman shows neither the Sperry power turret, or the ball turret, under the aircraft but the small, rectangular windows on the lower rear fuselage, just below the camo demarcation line, are the tunnel gun windows:

https://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=21660

My understanding is a large majority of Pacific B-24s didn't carry a ball turret, and instead had the "tunnel gun," as seen in the following image:

https://worldwar2database.com/gallery/wwii0005

That being said, the tunnel gun had very poor field of fire, as the photo article notes. Both the tunnel gun and Sperry power turret created huge nausea issues for the gunners and were deleted. Due to the added weight of the turrets and the range requirements of the B-24s in the Pacific, the lower gun emplacements were typically deleted altogether. 

I hope this helps.

-Daniel S.

Arvada, CO

Hello, thank you for your keen eyes lol! I actually used that same photo for the paint scheme reference and as a reference for the tail number. I was wondering if you have any tips on how to modify the model since I believe I won't have any spare clear parts to make the window. Do you also have any tips on how to make the tunnel gun part? Much thanks!

PS-Did the tail number appear on both sides of the rudder?

Hi Jack,

The best way to recreate the tunnel gun will be to cut out the portion of the lower fuselage and full it with clear, plastic sheet, which can be purchased from any reputable hobby shop. If that can't be sourced, plastic from any "bubble" type packaging can be used. In all honesty, Superman likely had the tunnel gun completely deleted, so you'd only need to replicate the windows on the fuselage side. Mark where they are, drill them out, and fill with suitable clear plastic stock or sheet. My recommendation would be to cut out the entire panel (not just where the windows are), and put in an oversized piece of clear plastic. Fill, sand, polish, and mask off just the windows, and boom,you're there. I hope this makes sense!

PS: The serial number typically was only carried on the outside of the rudder. If you really want to get in the sticks with Superman, it likely didn't have a tail turret, either ;) 

2 hours ago, Avenger2614 said:

Hi Jack,

The best way to recreate the tunnel gun will be to cut out the portion of the lower fuselage and full it with clear, plastic sheet, which can be purchased from any reputable hobby shop. If that can't be sourced, plastic from any "bubble" type packaging can be used. In all honesty, Superman likely had the tunnel gun completely deleted, so you'd only need to replicate the windows on the fuselage side. Mark where they are, drill them out, and fill with suitable clear plastic stock or sheet. My recommendation would be to cut out the entire panel (not just where the windows are), and put in an oversized piece of clear plastic. Fill, sand, polish, and mask off just the windows, and boom,you're there. I hope this makes sense!

PS: The serial number typically was only carried on the outside of the rudder. If you really want to get in the sticks with Superman, it likely didn't have a tail turret, either ;) 

Thank you so much for your help. I want to make this as close to the real thing possible since I am starting to research my topics to respect them since they all have a story to tell. I will have to fill in the belly panel though sadly since I have cut a circle out to adjust for the Sperry turret. However, I do want to point out that this article did mention the use of a belly turret (Bendix, not Sperry) (http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-articles/ron-cole-b-24-lou-zamperini.html). The fan-art was based on photos from the Zamperini family that is not publicized. In the book, it also showed a picture of the crew with the belly gunner, SSgt Frank Glassman, being the shortest crew. This seems to support that there a turret of sorts since the turret was usually manned by the shortest crew. Furthermore, in the book, it stated "....Super Man, while always officially a D model, had undergone upgrades that has effectively made it an E model." However, I wish to know your stance on the turret issue. Again, thank you for your help

PS-The tail number was on the outside of both rudders is that correct?

Edited by Jack234

Not to throw a grenade in here but I believe the tunnel gun was positioned aft of the waist windows, not forward where the Sperry ball turret would otherwise occupy.  In the below image, you can see the waist guns and it is my belief that this tunnel gun is indeed aft of the waist guns.  The scanning windows are also there as well.  The apparatus that occupies where the Sperry ball turret would be, looks to be a field mod or kit of some kind as I see it on different aircraft in the Pacific Theater.

vVVsLt9.jpg

The tunnel gun would be located precisely where the soldiers are standing. The scanning windows are totally different than those shown in the above photo as well.

83n3ZEK.jpg

I would recommend looking at the E-book, Consolidated Mess (if you can get a copy - print will be almost impossible to find but not sure about the E-book version).

Edited by Juggernut

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

Not to throw a grenade in here but I believe the tunnel gun was positioned aft of the waist windows, not forward where the Sperry ball turret would otherwise occupy.  In the below image, you can see the waist guns and it is my belief that this tunnel gun is indeed aft of the waist guns.  The scanning windows are also there as well.  The apparatus that occupies where the Sperry ball turret would be, looks to be a field mod or kit of some kind as I see it on different aircraft in the Pacific Theater.

vVVsLt9.jpg

I would recommend looking at the E-book, Consolidated Mess (if you can get a copy - print will be almost impossible to find but not sure about the E-book version).

Thanks! Any information is valuable to me. I believe I have seen that photo somewhere. I do not think I can acquire the e-book you mentioned though. Do you have any other useful information?

PS-The fuselage does have a concave for the windows for the aforementioned turret window

Edited by Jack234

1 minute ago, Jack234 said:

Thanks! Any information is valuable to me. I believe I have seen that photo somewhere. I do not think I can acquire the e-book you mentioned though. Do you have any other useful information?

I'm looking through what I have...

Hello guys, I wish to know if you guys came up with any new information? I want to stick with the Sperry ball turret since it seems to most appropriate. The belly turret gunner in the crew picture was the shortest, so that seems to point to a ball turret being used. However, before I make the change permanent, I want to hear if you have any other opinion or findings. Thank you very much for you contributions!