P-47 Tailwheel Question

I built the Revell years ago. It was the razorback. Anyway, can Chris or one of the other P-47 guys tell me why the tail wheel has that giant groove in it? I can't think of any reason and I have never seen anything like it!

Sorry for the dumb question but the other P-47 post reminded me to ask!

Thanks

Gary V

I built the Revell years ago. It was the razorback. Anyway, can Chris or one of the other P-47 guys tell me why the tail wheel has that giant groove in it? I can't think of any reason and I have never seen anything like it!

Sorry for the dumb question but the other P-47 post reminded me to ask!

Thanks

Gary V

Hi Gary,

I'm sure that the 'experts' shall confirm this, but many aircraft use this pattern of tyre (both front and tail wheels). It is basically an 'anti-shimmy' pattern that pretty much does what it says on the tin (allegedly!).

HTH

Derek

Good news and bad news there.

While it is hard to see in most war-time pictures, the tail wheel tire on most jugs was a flat tread face with minimal tread grooves. The Revell tire is moulded as a single groove and seems to be too deep.

There seems to be evidence of "dishing" in these flat tires on either side of the center though, very often.

post-2-1138287839_thumb.jpg

The safest bet is to fill the gap, or make your own tire from scratch with less deep groove(s) in it. Be sure the tire "road" surface is flat (like a dragster's slick), and then look into adding that "dishing" effect if you feel its needed.

This one seems to be the same type of tire as the picture in the next post.

post-2-1138287936_thumb.jpg

• LSP_Kevin changed the title to P-47 Tailwheel Question