DH 82A Tiger Moth S Rhodesia 1943

Max,

I looked hard at your model and the dihedral angle.

I thought you were doing SO well not to give up.

I think you should carry on .

:thumbsup:

I mean the Real Tiger  Moth's design was not all that perfect 

or accurate that the pilot had a hard time getting in and out of the cockpit.

The science bit. :)

In the early 1930s the British Air Ministry issued a specification for a new trainer aircraft for the RAF. The RAF themselves were quite keen on the DH.60 Gypsy Moth due to its excellent handling characteristics and low running costs, but it fell short of the specification due to the position of the wings relative to the front cockpit which did not allow the pilot to easily bail out.

:hmmm:

Determined to win the order, de Havilland took a Gypsy Moth aside and had the top wings moved forward to meet the specification. However, this resulted in the balance of the aircraft being affected, so both sets of wings were swept back and when that wasn't quite enough, the top wings were swept back a little further. It then became clear that the sweep had reduced the ground clearance of the lower wings and so the inter-plane struts were shortened and the dihedral of the bottom wing increased. Whether by accident or design, all of these changes made the DH.82 Tiger Moth an excellent training aircraft - often summarised by the phrase "easy to fly, but difficult to fly well".

This meant that it was safe in the hands of a novice but helped instructors weed out weaker pilots. The RAF began using the aircraft in 1932 and it was not replaced until 1952, meaning the vast majority of RAF and Commonwealth pilots that served in the Second World War, first took to the air in a Tiger Moth. Nearly 9000 Tiger Moths were built and many were sold as surplus after the war with the result that a great number survive to this day in the hands of pleasure flight companies and within a community of dedicated enthusiasts. :yahoo:

So says MY RAF book .

MY own bit: :whistle:

So maybe you SHOULD not be thinking to create a vignette but think of it as the kit manufacturer has it right ,and it DOES LOOK brilliant right way up and UPSIDE down as shown in your photos a few pages earlier. if the Dihedral angle on the real thing was an

exacting science using plumb line and it took years to get THEIR dihedral angle "square " on then you should not be so hard on your self.

Some pictures show a fraction of angle off on the dihedral .. its not dead on rhombus but just a weeny bit off !! its not exactly equilateral quadrilateral.

anyway I still think it looks Great.

its like a signature on a painting .. those pesky dihedral angles.

*so many  dihedral angles  especially  in medicine  and chemistry!*

Keep on Rocking Sir. :punk:

and yep paint away to think and rest your mind!

Happy Thoughts.

:yahoo:

Edited by MARU5137
49 minutes ago, VW Chris 1969 said:

Hi Max 

Did the surgery work?  Hope it has gone well.   Painting looks great too.

Chris

Haven't touched it Chris since cutting through the wings/fuel tank join I'm afraid.....no modelling at all right now. :wacko:

32 minutes ago, mozart said:

Haven't touched it Chris since cutting through the wings/fuel tank join I'm afraid.....no modelling at all right now. :wacko:

This is excellent news - no modelling, painting instead. That's an ideal way of resting your mind

Richard

On the Silver Wings Facebook page is a "progress build" just in pictures of a pretty amazing looking Tiger Moth, using lots of PE that isn't in the kit.  I notice that the modeller has put some rods either side of the fuel tank to hold the upper wings at the "correct" angle, but I'm not too sure from his pictures about the dihedral on the lower wings:

W8vSOW.png

N1RUyD.png

A34FX2.png

I'll be watching with interest, so many areas to see how he tackles.

Edited by mozart

That last photo of your set does seem to show less dihedral than the real thing Max. :hmmm:

Is it possible to use bent wire at the front joint of the lower wing without it being visible? 

I wonder where MH Design got their PE? Perhaps these shots indicate the development of an aftermarket PE set? 

Looking forward to seeing you get this one over the line when your mojo returns. 

This model and your other TigerMoth have been an inspiration. I've got the old Revell kit in the stash but haven't touched it. I do however have the new ICM kit winging it's way to me from Hannants so may be pestering you for reference images before long. :rolleyes: :P

Stay safe. 

Very happy to help with references in any way I can Guy, I put lots in the Walkaround section some years ago but if any more are required just let me know.  There's a good chance I'll finish my second painting today, so may feel the urge to look at the Tiger Moth, who knows? :shrug::whistle:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=157

Max

Looks Brilliant .

this is what they said about the lower wings, "that the sweep had reduced the ground clearance of the lower wings and so the inter-plane struts were shortened and the dihedral of the bottom wing increased"

:clap2:

And thank you for the walkaround  link.

Very detailed.

I think you will find the solution Max.. you're an experienced  modeller as well as an aviator. 

:thumbsup:

Edited by MARU5137
  • 4 weeks later...

Well it's been nearly a month since I last posted regarding the Tiger Moth, so a quick update:

8H0dK8.jpg

Rather a sorry spectacle!!  It's been causing a real block for me, I feel I should be trying to make the best of it but I lack any drive to do so, so I've reconciled myself to "put it away" for the moment!  There's no doubt I'll return to it at some point, but right now I'm rather "Tiger Moth'd out" and feel the need for a fresh start.  C'est la vie!  The Hunter hopefully will be finished before closing time!