#1 Non LSP on the shelf of doom

Greg W

I was just reading the #1 LSP on your shelf of doom thread and it made me think of the first model I attempted to add a aftermarket resin engine to. This was in 1998 when I was inspired to try it after buying a Verlinden Publications book. I purchased the 1/48 Tamiya FW-190 D9 and the Verlinden update set and started cutting. This project would ultimately teach me a lesson about doing research and carefully reading instructions before charging ahead. 

A friend of mine who had already used this set, asked me how my project was going and I complained that the set didn't fit the airframe at all. I went on to tell him that I had to carve away a lot of resin on the bottom of the engine and it still was cocked up at to high of an angle. He informed me that sheet metal in the wheel wells of the D9 was removed and I had neglected to open them up on my model, causing the fit problems. Sure enough, I had overlooked the part of the V.P. instructions that illustrated that modification to the kit. Not to mention the Squadron FW-190 D9 book next to me on the table that showed the wheel wells in detail. Just went hell bent for leather and didn't take the time I should have to read the instructions or look at my reference. 

Even though I was so discouraged with my efforts on this attempt and it went to the shelf of doom, this model did give me the courage to attempt more involved builds and showed me that I could do this kind of thing if I took my time. 

2GMZRe2.jpg

XcrOfdf.jpg

PEJ1uDC.jpg

dndCHQB.jpg

6P97QEm.jpg

EzEScmT.jpg

Edited by GDW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Do they still publish that book because it's probably worth having.:frantic:

Thank you.

Hi Maru. Unfortunately, none of the Verlinden Publications are in print anymore. There are several copies of this book currently on eBay and with a little time spent searching online hobby shops, it still can be found. I bought all of the, Modeling/Detailing/Painting/Weathering WWII Aircraft books as they were published. Here are the covers of the other books in this series.

Greg

uET1pvz.jpg

F1ucm9e.jpg

Edited by GDW