Question regarding Tamiya F-4 fuselage.

Francis

Hi Folks! I have a question regarding the Tamiya F-4 fuselage. I personally tend to do my own detailing rather than buying after market items.  The Tamiya kit , as you know, has a one piece fuselage, making detailing of the cockpit sidewalls, somewhat tricky and difficult to work with. Has anyone tried to split the forward fuselage in two to facilitate detailing and painting or am I just making things difficult on myself. Would it be easier to make new interior sidewalls instead or just work with the kit as is. Just throwing the idea around to get some feedback before committing to anything. All opinions are welcomed. Thanks! :)

Francis

I know I wouldn't be that brave, surely I would screw that up.  I don't know if you want to go aftermarket but I used the Avionix pit.  It took a bit of work to get it to fit but nothing crazy.  I think the Aires pit fits better but I've never used it.  Honestly, I think you would be creating more work for yourself by splitting the fuselage.  At the same time you may have some mad skills that I have yet to acquire...:coolio:

Bryan

1 hour ago, Durangokid said:

I know I wouldn't be that brave, surely I would screw that up.  I don't know if you want to go aftermarket but I used the Avionix pit.  It took a bit of work to get it to fit but nothing crazy.  I think the Aires pit fits better but I've never used it.  Honestly, I think you would be creating more work for yourself by splitting the fuselage.  At the same time you may have some mad skills that I have yet to acquire...:coolio:

Bryan

I haven’t dealt with the Aires pit myself, but you don’t often read the words Aires and better fit in the same sentence. 

I suggest doing this:

-Leave the fuselage as is

-remove the Tamiya side wall stripes

-make side panels from scratch as you would if. Split.

-slide them in from the top after installing the tub.

plenty of room to do this and still install the canopy lock mechanism if you choose.

Edited by ghatherly

22 hours ago, Durangokid said:

At the same time you may have some mad skills that I have yet to acquire...:coolio:

Bryan

No mad skills Bryan, just morbid curiosity. :) I'm not convinced it would be that difficult and the results may be well worth it. Then again, I may be totally wrong!

19 hours ago, ghatherly said:

I suggest doing this:

-Leave the fuselage as is

-remove the Tamiya side wall stripes

-make side panels from scratch as you would if. Split.

-slide them in from the top after installing the tub.

plenty of room to do this and still install the canopy lock mechanism if you choose.

Thanks Gary, that would be another option.