First Effort in 15 years

sargevining

While the engine is on the firewall, it's a good time to check the fit with the cockpit floor. You may recall that it's a bit long and needed trimming. Looks like the job is done and no more trimming is required.

It's starting to look like it may get finished before spring!

post-4-1135919657.jpg

I'm told the salad includes the National Defense Service Medal, Expert Rifleman (apparently the AF does it differently from the Army), War on Global Terror Medal, and Deployment medal with divice ofr deployment in a combat zone.

THe young man volunteered for 14 months in the Desert in a Froce Protection mission, which at that time meant Convoy Guard. Once there, he volunteered to tag along with Army patrols. Not bad for an Airdale Generator Mech.

He's looking to go back in May. If the AF doesn't send his unit, he'll volunteer for the Force Protection Mission again.

Ah the best alid plans....

When I originally decided to use the Revell braces, I checked the size one brace to the other and cut them where it looked like they would fit and be in the right place. I've now found out why Trum peter engineered thier braces where they did. Theirs is canted a bit to the outside of the engine, and it's done, apparently to clear the engine mounts, as the Revell pices foul them as shown below.

post-4-1135964253.jpg

They are also a bit long now, too and they foul the forward mount as well.

It's going to take a bit of contemplation to fiogure this out. I may just end up staring over again with a new kit, as I've made a couple of other mistakes. It's either that or scratch build the upper braces to fit. IN the meantime, I'll concnetrate on that P36...

post-4-1135964439.jpg

Hey Sarge, I"m not a rivet counter so take this the right way.....Looking at your photos of the

cockpit, I could be wrong but it appears as though the grip on the joy stick is leaning the

wrong way. Its tilting back toward the seat when it should be leaning forward toward the

instrumentation. Somebody check behind me and see what you think. Progress on the

P-40 is looking good. All you guys start the new year off well, take care. :rolleyes: :D

Had to look twide at it, but it is correct. The longer horizontal pice (the puch pull tube) should be pointing aft. THe big mistkae I ade in the cockpit is getting the seat a bit off center and mounting the seat brace upside down. It didn't show up until the final dry fit. Going to try and see if I can fix it before buttoning up the fuse.

I've been consoling myself somewhat and working on the P36. I went ahead and used the Trumpeter engine braces from the other kit and glued them onto the engine. Shoot me if it's not accurate. Tomorrow I'll work on engine plumbing and getting the seat/brace correct and shoot for closing the fuse by Sunday evening.

While scratching plastic on the P36, I had a sudden idea. I went ahead and bought a second kt today (hope the wife doesn't read these posts) so that I can stash it and use the cockpit as a base for adding to the next P40B (or perhaps a C) . I pulled the clear parts out of the new P36 kit to see if they had suffered the same damage as the first (they hadn't) when it occured to me that the windscreen might fit the Trumpeter kit and slove that problem. Looks OK, so I think that's what we're gonna do.

post-4-1135987576.jpg