First Effort in 15 years

sargevining

Thank the Modeling Gods for dry fitting. In doing so with the cockpit floor and firewall,to see what setting up the MGs would entail, I noticed that the floor was falling a bit too far forward. It appears that the shelf standing proud of the pour block should be removed. Going to do that and then sand it. The fit of the firewall to the floor is very well engineered otherwise.

post-4-1134958651.jpg

Hi Sarge, i would say that mine is not any better. You are doing a fantastic job. Those hose clips are made from thin strip of metal foil. I like using the foil from the surgical blades packets. It is better than lead foil. Thinner and easier to stick on. Glad that my work was of use to you.

May the Blessings of the Season be on all of you, Merry Christmas and Happy Modleing in 2006!

Not kuch to report this weekend due to another bout with the flue (seems we're passing it around the office). The wife and I went to see King Kong as our Hiliday Habit since the nest became empty is to go to see a movie. What kind of planes we those...I think S02C's..but not sure.

One thing I can report is using the kit instrument panel with the Cutting Edge resin cockpit will not work without surgery. Many hours went into test fitting, sanding, trimming, etc until finally I jst resigned to having to trim off the aux instrument bar on the bottom and center the panel in the cockpit. You lose the clock abnd the Magneto switch that way. You live, you learn.

Floor and right side cockpit wall finally in place

post-4-1135572320.jpg

I chose this cockpit set for the flexible seat belts. A nifty idea, they are made from a rubber like resin. I;ve decided, though, that I'll not go this route again as they seem too thick for the scale. As an AVG ship, this one only gets lap belts.

post-4-1135573087.jpg

All the kit plumbing is in except two large lines. Looking at Brian Cauchi's build, it looks like I should wait until I get the firewall in order before putting those in as they seem to "penetrate" the wall. I also have to add a lot of my own, along with some electrical. THat's what New Year's weekend is for!

post-4-1135573505.jpg

Had the day off today, but not much done here in the shop, athough I'm now tackling two kits at once. But the main reason is the Return of the Prodigal. He spent last Christmas in Iraq and even though he couldn't make it until today, we wern't going to let him miss ALL of the holidays this year as well.

post-4-1135919161.jpg

BUT....

While his mother talked his ear off, I snuck out to the shop to get a little bit done. Painted the new firewall, added the engine mounts and cut the offending parts off the braces and glued them to the engine. They are dry fit into the firewall until cured, then I'll add the Revell parts, temporarily securing them into the locator holes in the firewall ntil they are cured as well and it's realtively safe to start handling the engine again. Each of the Revell pieces was cut to fit it's mate on the Tumpeter part, and has been tpaed and labeld whcih one goes with which because they now look identical.

We've crossed the Rubicon on this part now, there's no going back if the bash doesn't work. Still got the P36, though....

post-4-1135919476.jpg