T-28C Question

b757captain

A question for the experten:

I'm currently working on the KH T-28C and I've been stymied trying to find references for the correct configuration for seat cushions. The kit provides seat bottom and back cushions but I'm trying to find out if the pilots wore parachutes that substituted for the cushions, and if the seat back cushion would instead have been a life raft pack. There is just no or bad info on the interwebs as most photos are of civilian restored aircraft.

Thanks,

Mark

It depends on the parachute type.

If a seat-pack parachute was worn, the seat pan cushion was not provided, provision of the rear cushion was optional. Early 1950s feature.

If a back-pack parachute was worn, the rear cushion was omitted and a seat pan cushion was provided instead. 1960s onwards.

Flotation devices were commonly part of the personal flight equipment - torso harness/Mk2/Mk3/Mk4 vests/life preservers, etc.

If required, para-rafts were attached to seat-chute harness.

(Source: various NAVY T-28 NATOPS and applicable USAF T.O.s)

HTH

Edited by Ivan Ivanovich

I'd say it's rather a question of timeframe and general availability at unit level.

Generally speaking, the seat-chutes started to be replaced/phased out during the mid-1950s. Not much room for personal preferences; you wear what's issued.

Only a few examples...

1953:

QArcrnr.jpg

1954/1955:

RRt9Oto.jpg

(instructor on the far left with seat chute, para-raft and cushion attached to harness)

1956:

gxbcybX.jpg

1962:

VJ0gNzZ.jpg