Revell Mirage III

TimW

All,

I've come into possession of the old Revell Mirage III kit (French and Swiss markings).

I'm unaware of any aftermarket stuff out there, apart from the out of print Kfir conversion. And ideas re: good references for Israeli AF Mirage IIIs?

Thanks,

Tim W.

Hello Tim.

Besides the Kfir set there is/was a set by Plane Bits out of Melbourne, Australia. You can see Saso Kenz's review of it here on the site under Reviews or by clicking> here <. Be advised though that this is for a Mirage IIIO which was the Australian version of the Mirage IIIE. The seat in this kit is the MB Mk 6, which IIRC was only used, in the Australian birds so you would have to replace it with whichever seat the IAF used.

Also I believe that the IAF Mirage IIIs were the 'C' variant which would have a shorter fuselage than the Mirage E depicted in Revel's kit. The E variants had the nose lengthened just in front of the intakes. Not sure if the Kfirs were based on the Mirage IIIC or if the Israelis purchased and rebuilt Mirage III/V's from some second party. Others would know more I'm sure.

Thanks for the tips. Luckily for me, I checked my decal stash and I have the old microscale Israeli Squadron badges/National insignia set, still in quite good condition.

Includes squadron badges for A-4, F-4 and Mirage Squadrons. A stroke of luck!

I'm thinking an NMF Mirage might look nice--offset my camouflaged A-4 and F-4.

Tim W.

Tim W,

the IAF operated the following variants of the Mirage (other than the Kfir)

IIIC : converting the revell kit (which is basically a IIIE) is quite involved, as you will have to change the tail section (the engine had a different exhaust, which was longer and smaller in diameter), remove the ventral bulge and replacing it with a smaller one with a strake. The instrument panel would be different too.

Nesher/Dagger : was an unauthorized copy of the french Mirage 5 (equipped with a smaller navigation radar in a pointed nose). You can obtain the Nesher by using the older Revell Mirage 5 kit, that includes that nose option. If you have the recently reissued box (the same that I have), you could obtain the M5 nose by extensively reworking the recon nose of the IIIR, or vacuum forming a new one.

For the kfir there's a conversion set issued by CAM, but I think one can convert it from scratch, with a lot of work

Cheers

Hi there,

The CAM/TAC Scale Kfir conversion is, as far as I am aware, no longer produced.

I recently did a Kfir and had alot of trouble tracking down a conversion set.

What I found helpful, was buying Haswgawa's 1/72 Kfir and using it as 3D plans, scaling it up to convert the 32nd scale Mirage.

All the best,

Angelo

Tim W,

the IAF operated the following variants of the Mirage (other than the Kfir)

IIIC : converting the revell kit (which is basically a IIIE) is quite involved, as you will have to change the tail section (the engine had a different exhaust, which was longer and smaller in diameter), remove the ventral bulge and replacing it with a smaller one with a strake. The instrument panel would be different too.

Nesher/Dagger : was an unauthorized copy of the french Mirage 5 (equipped with a smaller navigation radar in a pointed nose). You can obtain the Nesher by using the older Revell Mirage 5 kit, that includes that nose option. If you have the recently reissued box (the same that I have), you could obtain the M5 nose by extensively reworking the recon nose of the IIIR, or vacuum forming a new one.

For the kfir there's a conversion set issued by CAM, but I think one can convert it from scratch, with a lot of work

Cheers

Sounds involved. I'll have to see what the kit actually looks like when I get it (I think some of these may not be major fixes. The longer nose only amounts to about 11 inches in real life, not a major issue for me.

The tail section I'll have to see about... :D

I remember the Mirage 5J kit--I don't have that one.

Anybody remember the reissue that had Argentine markings?

Tim W.

You may also do a re-engined Israeli Mirage IIIC as the rear fuselage is very similar to the IIIE one. This already solves part of the issue...!

Thierry,

You read my mind! Time to go purchase the Osprey Mirage/Nesher aces book...

Tim W.

Anybody remember the reissue that had Argentine markings?

Tim W.

You mean this one? One day when my skills mature I'll give it a go.

Yep, that's the one. I used to have it in days long gone by, but it ended up in the dustbin of history (or some such place).

I was rather hard on models as a teen. Building better ones today is perhaps a form of penance for all those half-built, blown up kits in my past... :P